1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children's Books With Indian Themes

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by BhumiBabe, Apr 26, 2017.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hey Everyone!

I have a toddler, and I love introducing baby/children's books that have Indian flavor. I found a couple of great books, that have great writing and appropriate story telling for young children, but I am always searching for more. Please post with any book recommendations.

Also, I am starting to write my own children's book, and I have some pretty good ideas for deconstructing the Indian epics (Dasavatharam, Mahabharatam, Ramayana, etc), but I am wondering what themes would be enjoyable for both parents and children, that are not rooted in religion.

For example, a book about dressing up in Indian outfits or some type of daily life aspect that is relatable to a wider audience. I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

sindmani likes this.

2. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

sindmani likes this.
  3. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Panchatantra stories, Tenali rama "s wit, Lava kusu, are the great Indian books for children

4. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi Op,
    Thats wonderful job..My suggestions would be stories having animals that we see in india both domestic and wild animals,some of our ancient trees...and peoples interaction with these animals and tress.. their bonding..this is something that our kids don't have chance to experience so atleast they can read through such stories..

some stories related to nature(drought or high rainfall) and how people in villages find simple solutions for their livelihood.How people have used some basic science in their daily life.

These are some of the thoughts that i would suggest.. all the best..

sindmani and BhumiBabe like this.
  5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

What a unique suggestion, I never thought about the stories surrounding trees, but it would be great to incorporate that into the narrative. Actually, all of your suggestions are awesome. Thanks :clap2:

bhagya85 likes this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Great thoughts. I too write children book . I wrote for schools. Moral stories from Ramayana, Mahabaratha, amar chithra in children understanding way of narration is an idea. Stories can be provided from day to day life like how rain comes and explanation in a child like way , stories on human values , stories on wisdom, example is Birbal katha and how to tackle problems with wisdom.

penpaal likes this.