1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Children - Assets or Liabilities

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jananirbk, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Children – Assets or Liabilities

With the Supreme Court's only woman judge's controversial declaration of marriage expenses to be incurred for her daughters as liabilities, I would like to share my opinion here. Majority of the people are agreeing that there is nothing wrong in claiming getting one's daughters married as liability, after all liabilities are debts or obligations owned by an individual.

Children, irrespective of their gender, are assets or liabilities?

From technical point of view, right from the day of conceiving until their children go to job and maybe after that, until parents 'demise, parents are incurring expenses without expecting returns.

You may think I am a senti-mental or semi-mental whatever…If we go on thinking everything from a monetary point of view, how my balance sheet will look like? Let us see

Me, the expenses incurred for me itself a liability for me. Food, clothing, shelter, things I indulge in, expenses incurred by and for me for taking care of myself, doctor consult, hobbies, interests, oops, how much I am spending myself for a day, month, year? So definitely I will put myself under liability.

Then my husband; is he an asset or liability? Of course, we incur expenses for him, aren't I? I need to cook and take care of him irrespective of he is breadwinning or not, so liability rite?

And parents, why spare them, will put them in liabilities, so then my balance sheet will look like

Assets
    • Job/career
    • House
    • Car
    • Bank Balance
    Liabilities
    • Myself
    • Husband
    • Children
    • Parents
    If we consider one's life itself a liability, really where are we heading to?

After all, we are here to live happily. Aren't we? If we believe meaning of life is maximizing pleasure, will it come only from job, house, car, and bank balance alone? The agony of, childless couples, children who lost their parents at a young age, widower/widow, will explain it.

After all, we know the best possible way to live our life is to cooperate with evolution rather than working against it. Is having job, house, car, and bank balance is cooperative with evolution, or having and raising the kids the best way we can is cooperative with evolution?

The primary function of life is survival of one's genes and pass on their genes. Reproduction allows life to continue over a span of multiple generations. If we consider expenses incurred by us for passing on our genes is a liability, then all theories about life will go wrong. Is not it?

So, never ever think the expenses incurred by us for our children as liabilities, they are the reason we are here for!!

Regards,
    Janani Natarajan

2. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Yes, at the moment, i cherish my child, my family as the greatest asset that i possess.

Expenses are one part of life, what about the happiness that they give us? And this in turn helps us to be happy. So, goes to the asset side of B/S. :)

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Raising my children is the most important thing I have done in my life -- they are definitely my assets.

Their attitude towards money is different than mine. They both have a large amount of educational loans. However, in spite of that, money is only of minor concern to them. Living an interesting life is of far greater importance. After their loans are mostly paid off, they want to go back to more stimulating but possibly less well-paying jobs. I told them jokingly (about a week ago) that they need some money to pay me off for all the mental anguish they have caused me :) They are not lazy. They are just more risk-taking.

4. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

hi jananirbk

Children are the ultimate bliss.
    They are neither assets nor liabilities. They are priceless
    Read my blog "Stop being a Kid", You are Old Enough"

cheers
    suresh

5. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Coolblues:

Thanks for dropping by. Yes, well said. We earn just to keep ourselves and our family happy first.

Regards
    Janani Natarajan

6. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Sojourn:

yep, today's attitude of children are changing. As said in a Ad, they are looking for "passion and not work" I am happy that they have the freedom to choose.

Regards
    Janani Natarajan

7. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Suresh:

Thanks for dropping by. Yep, we should not look everyting from a monitary point of view, thatz wat i want to say in a lighter vein. Surely will read ur blog and comment.

Regards
    Janani Natarajan

8. lakshmisatvik

lakshmisatvik New IL'ite

Hi Janani,

Nice to read on topic Children - Assets or Liabilites. For me my son, husband and parents are assets, without them there is just vaccum in my life. so whatever we are earning today is for raising our kids and making them to stand as a good citizen, and taking care of our parents, who are the pillars what we are today.

9. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Janani,
    Very well written. These days all the aged are seen as liabilities forgetting the way they were brought up-this has become a very sad way of life.The tables are turned once the age factor enters!