Chicken Curry Tips?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by nakshatra1, Feb 25, 2019.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all, whenever I make chicken curry , it never comes out good. Can anyone please share with me any tips for making good chicken curry? I make normal traditional curry with onion/tomato/ginger garlic paste.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Post your typical way of making that never-comes-out-good chicken. People would offer tweaks to set-right what you are already doing.

Your description of "normal traditional curry with onion/tomato/ginger garlic paste." does not mean much. If one tosses ingredients into a pot, and heat it, that would not be edible. There are such things as sequence, length of cooking, and exactly what you did to make that not-so-good curry.

Go on and let us in on that secret. Like that famous line from Joe Friday: "Just the facts, ma'am".;)

nakshatra1 likes this.
  3. nakshatra1

@Amulet ,this is the way

1at step:- I first heat oil and put whole spices and jeera,Then I fry chilly and chopped onions properly till onions are golden.I put good quantiy onion.

2nd step:- Finally I add tomatoes(same quantiy as onion) and ginger garlic paste s and cook for few minutes with different powders:- jeera,dhania, chicken masala .

3rd step:- After chicken is cooked, I add water and cook till the meat has boiled well, throw in some sliced chillies.

I noticed that many people/relatives get a very tasty thick gravy at the end of step 2 where they get the real taste. That gravy is a thick paste basically.After that, step 3 is just to add water to dilute that paste kind to a thin gravy and to make the meat soft.But I never get that tasty thick pasty gravy at the end of step 2 , it always tastes very normal and my end result is not so appetising as a chicken curry is when others make it .

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Thick gravy with tomato and onion ?
    watch this, and adjust down the amounts to whatever level you want to cook. Add less water than you normally add, that is all there is to it:

nakshatra1 likes this.
  5. nakshatra1

Thank you so much. And yeah, by thick gravy I meant a paste.(edited it now in my reply).

Vahchef method looks very easy, I will try this to get that gravy.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

He cooks at Sheraton Hotels. Professional chef. Shows many shortcuts.
    In addition to what he says, chicken comes in two types 1. light meat 2. dark meat. Legs/thighs are dark meat. Dark meat tolerates cooking mistakes (boiling too long is a typical one), and you will find that it is more expensive than light meat in most countries.
    I also like to brown the surface of the meat in a spiced oil, before I mix tomato/onion gravy with it. He does not do that on the video.

Look at some of his other videos, and adapt what you like to your family's tastes. In many families there is an older person (mother in law, usually) who likes things done some specific way.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  7. nakshatra1

@Amulet , Yes I was already a fan of Vahchef but missed this video - it seems to make it very easy and foolproof as he said.
    I will try browning the surface with spiced oil ..I think it will definitely contribute to the kind of brown flavourful paste I want Dark meat will be good for beginners like me.

8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I hope you add the cinnamon, cloves cardamom, fennel seeds in the 1st step

nakshatra1 likes this.
  10. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Make sure to use whole chicken with bone cut into small pieces (get them skinned).This is perfect to make traditional Indian curries.Never use boneless chicken breast,these are good to use for fried rice and fried/grilled/baked chicken snacks.Apart from vahchef's recipes here are some of my easy recipes.

Andhra chicken iguru

Mix chicken with salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder,little curds, ginger garlic paste,garam masala powder (roasted and powdered- green cardamom,cloves and cinnamon), coriander powder,pepper powder.Keep aside for a while.Pressure Cook chicken in a pressure cooker till 3/4th done (1 whistle).Remove & Keep aside.

Heat little oil in a pan, add whole spices (cloves,cinnamon,green cardamon), thinly sliced onions, curry leaves, few slit green chillies & fry till onions light brown.Add ginger garlic paste & fry till raw smell leaves.Add chicken along with its gravy, cook for a while till you get a semi gravy.Drizzle little lemon juice,stir well.Remove & garnish with cilantro.Serve with rice/roti.

Menthi koora chicken (South Indian style methi chicken)

Marinate chicken with salt,chilli powder,turmeric,garam masala powder,coriander powder,ginger garlic paste,little oil,little curds and pressure cook till half done.Heat oil in a pan,add finely chopped methi leaves and fry till crisp.Add sliced onions,green chillies and fry till onions turn light brown.Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell leaves.Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry till oil oozes out.Add the cooked chicken along with its gravy and cook for a while.Remove and serve hot with rice/roti.

Andhra chicken fry

I have tried this many times,its easy to make and yum too.
    Andhra chicken fry recipe | kodi vepudu | Easy chicken fry recipes

Aloo Matar Keema

You can replace mutton keema with chicken keema, you can replace aloo and matar with cabbage for keema cabbage curry.Tastes awesome.

Once you master the basics, try vahchef's grandmas chicken curry and Andhra chicken kurma.Both recipes are too good.

Andhra Chicken kurma
    The core ingredient of this recipe is the masala paste.Once you get it right it so easy to make. For 1/2 of chicken use this measurement - warm 2 tbsp poppy seeds and grind into a powder using a small mixie jar,add in 1 inch stick cinnamon,4 cloves,2 tbsp coriander seeds and grind again.Add 2 tbsp of grated fresh coconut or 2 tbsp grated dried coconut/kopra (do not use desiccated coconut powder) and grind again into a fine powder.Add water little by little and keep grinding till you get a smooth paste.Remove and keep aside.

Marinate 1/2 kg skinless whole chicken pieces (with bones) with enough salt, 1 tsp chilli powder,1/2 tsp turmeric,2 spoons curds for 30 mins.

To a pressure cooker add in oil and ghee.When it gets hot add in few cloves, cinnamon stick, sauté and add curry leaves, sliced onions, 4 thai green chillies (slit length wise),cover with a lid and fry till the onions turn golden brown.Add ginger garlic paste,mix well, cover with a lid and fry till the raw smell leaves.Add the smoothly ground chicken masala paste and sauté for a minute. Add the chicken,mix well. Cover with a glass lid and sauté for 5 mins.

The chicken oozes some moisture, add in the required amount of water to make a gravy.Close with the pressure cooking lid and cook for 10-15 mins with the whistle on.Switch off, let the pressure release naturally.Remove the lid and slow cook for 2-5 mins,remove and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with rice/pulkha/chapathi/poori/medu Vada.Here is the pic Grandma’s Chicken Curry | Indusladies

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    nakshatra1 likes this.