Chewy aloo paranthas

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Khanaksmom, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

Hi

I have a constant problem with Stuffed paranthas? They become hard and chewy in the centre? Also they don't rise. I saw my mom making nice soft and fluffly paranthas but mine don't come out that way despite trying several times. Any suggestions??

Neha

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Do not knead the dough very stiff. Let it rest for atleast an hour.

Chances are that while rolling your parathas the filling may be pushed to the sides leaving only the dough in the centre which may be chewy.
    Here is how I make parathas....I once saw this tip on Khana Khazana.

Roll out two puris. Place filling on one puri. Apply water along the sides. Place the other puri and seal well. Now sprinkle dry flour and roll lightly. This way the filling stays intact and evenly spread.

Apply oil when the paratha is half done. then cook till golden and cooked evenely.

I hope this works

4 people like this.
  3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

i too make as RKG does..making two small pooris involves a bit more time but the stuffing spreads evenly, and makes the paratha more fluffy

2 people like this.
  4. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

For aloo Prantha I don't make two rotis , thats done for gobhi, paneer and rad dish Prantha.
    To make aloo Prantha, you need to have firm but not hard dough, make a small thick roti and put the filling in it then close it like a potli and again roll out the Prantha. Make Prantha on medium flame and when it is half done put oil on it and flip and cook the other side.
    Hardness could be due to less filling so put a nice filling and try to roll evenly.

4 people like this.
  5. sparkly

sparkly Bronze IL'ite

my recipe is also similar to cutemoster's..
    watch some videos online u will get were you are lacking..dough should not be hard like we make for chapaties..it should be little soft and roll paratha from the potli closing side ..sometimes i mix maida also..it makes parathas crispy.

2 people like this.
  6. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

What i do for aloo paranthas is, i knead a soft dough and roll out roti thick in the center and a bit thin on the edges, put filling inside, make potli, pat nice on the center and then on the edges carefully so that filling evens out everywhere and lastly roll it carefully.....and make sure i pour enough oil while cooking parantha......Till now i have done this way and my paranthas come nicely.

1 person likes this.
  7. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

Thank you soo much for the tips. I will surely try them and let you guys know!

Cheers
    Neha