1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chetan Bhagat's Speech about Indian Women and Stress

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by devi123kar, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks. My in-laws are totally against dowry, so I got reverse dowry... in the form of wisdom such as the above. :) Over the years of matrimonial bliss. :)

Seriously, I tell my DH that if we lived in India, we would have separated by now. he often nods in agreement.

when we had our 2 kids, used to feel very bad to eat old food, and no one to help with new-born, we used to look at the baby and didn't know how to give her bath as scared to hurt her neck etc. Ended up no proper water bath to baby for 2-3 weeks (only sponge cleaning)... till a nurse showed us how to at a wellness visit.

Looking back, it was all for good. OK, enough of hijacking Chetan Bhagat's advice thread. :)

2 people like this.
  2. smartgirl83

smartgirl83 Silver IL'ite

Awesome ...lines by Chetan Bhagat....!

Hats off to women....Proud to be one....!

3. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Hey ladies, why are we arguing over whether life is more stressful for women in India or US. It's already an established fact according to the study that more ladies in India experience stress. I am sure in a country like USA, they consider women from all backgrounds as it is such a multicultural nation. However, 83% and 57% does not mean that all women are stressed. I know many women who have returned from US to India because they felt that it was too stressful for them to handle things with very young kids. However, I don't understand people who claim life in India is much easier than US but would continue to live there.

4. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

Monita,

I never mentioned that life in India is easier. All I am saying is that life for an indian woman is same everywhere. We still end up doing things which we would have done if we were in India.

Just because we are in US, we do not live a life of an American wife and I am really not complaining about it too. We come from a culture which will definitely have a strong influence on us wherever we are.

It is a forum for women. We see how women are tormented by husbands and in-laws. Why to differentiate between indian women who lives in India and Indian women who live in US.

1 person likes this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Good and imp info, thanks for sharing !!

6. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

The expectation from NRI wife would be a double dose....thinking of our tradition (that is, before British period).

7. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Very true.. IL forum itself is a guide to understand how Indian women have common problems no matter where they are in this world, because they try tomaintain the same culture, tradition, family values irrespective of country they are living.

8. nidhijoshi

nidhijoshi Silver IL'ite

Rules seem to be good....but dont think you can follow it to T......customize i think must be the first and foremost rule.......and the same goes for these 5 rules...customize...them...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  9. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear devi,

After seeing so many likes and positive posts, I believe I am going to attract hate mails for this but still I would like to disagree with most of what Chetan has said. It is just a good speech - Chetan loves to show off his oratorical skills. Anyways, here goes :

One, don't even think you are without power. Give it back to that Mother in law. Be who you are , not someone she wished you would be. She doesn't like you?That's her problem.

Would be interesting to know if he allows his beautiful wife the same freedom !! If he does, I must say his wife is a lucky girl and my sympathies to his mom.

Two, if you are doing a good job at work and your boss doesn't value you - tell him that, or quit. Talented, hard-working people are much in demand.

Can we really tell our boss that ? However, we sure can quit anytime. I wonder how many of us have left our jobs because of our boss. Personally, I have never quit because of the boss but mostly because of a better offer or better organization.

Three, educate yourself, learn skills, network - figure out ways to be economically independent. So next time your husband tells you that you are not a good enough wife, mother or daughter-in-law, you can tell him to take a hike.

Agree

Four, do not ever feel stressed about having a dual responsibility of family and work. It is difficult, but not impossible. The trick is not to expect an A+ in every aspect of your life. You are not taking an exam, and you frankly can't score cent per cent (unless you are in SRCC, of course). It is okay if you don't make four dishes for lunch, one can fill their stomach with one. It is okay if you don't work until midnight and don't get a promotion. Nobody remembers their job designation on their dying day.

Yeah yeah Mr. Bhagat.....looking at your "Pirelli" in the middle, I am sure you are surviving on only one dish per meal !!! I am sure he strongly believes in not working hard for a promotion and hence quit after 11 years of working in the corporate sector when he could no longer bear to see his colleagues getting all the promotions !!

Five, most important, don't get competitive with other women. Someone will make a better scrapbook for her school project than you. Another will lose more weight with a better diet. Your neighbour may make a six-dabba tiffin for her husband, you don't - big deal. Do your best, but don't keep looking out for the report card, and definitely don't expect to top the class. There is no ideal woman in this world, and if you strive to become one, there will be only one thing you will achieve for certain - stress.

Agree with put in your best. I dont believe in competing with others but if someone is doing something more efficiently, then we sure can try to improve, if possible and within our means.

Just wanted to give a different view - hope "Chetan fans" dont mind.

love,
    kylie

4 people like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aah thanks, Kylie. Was hoping someone would do the needful. Summer vacation is on and I cannot finish too many consecutive thoughts at a time to type up something like above.

Yep, it is just a good speech. And four points are applicable to any (working) person and have pretty much been said before ("No man on his deathbed wished he had worked more", quotation). the only bit applicable specifically to women is the MIL bit:

One, don't even think you are without power. Give it back to that Mother in law. Be who you are , not someone she wished you would be. She doesn't like you?That's her problem.

And how practical is that? Is nice to read. Where does that "power" come from? How does the woman work up the courage to do and say all that? and how does she deal with the aftermath? Ha!

2 people like this.