Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama - I didn’t know this story. Thank you for sharing!

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

You are not the only to say that, that's why i shared the link @sokanasah tell me you have heard at least.

@Laks09 , have you ever heard the Kannada proverb

kAryavAsi katte kAlu
    (Kannada)
    • (If you need a job to be done, be prepared to fall at the feet of a donkey).
    I think it comes from this story...just tying up things together :biggrin:

Amica likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. In both languages. Glad to know the back story!

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

uch
    Yes, I have. Speaking of donkeys, did you follow that long donkey-themed rally between Ira and Cheeniya, here on IL, in the QPQ thread? I point to a poem quoted by yours truly, but reading the posts around it might prove even more entertaining! :wink1:
    With much good cheer from my donkey to yours!
    :beer-toast1:

Viswamitra and Laks09 like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With the White House mum and Grassley flatly declining to 'commandeer' the FBI to investigate the allegations, nothing is going to come of this. The republicans want a quick he said she said so that they brush it all off as a nothingburger and get busy with the business of stacking the SCOTUS. I'm beyond cynicism at this point. :(

sokanasanah, Viswamitra and Laks09 like this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

From Newsweek:
    I want to know which Hindu thought this was a good idea.

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The Hindi version is something like "garaz ho tho gadhe ko bhi baap banana padta hai."

The Vasudeva-and-donkeys story was often narrated to us as kids — especially after we'd thrown a tantrum over an unreasonable demand. It's only just registered that my beloved grandmother was calling me a donkey :cry:. Thanks, @Srama.

Srama, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That was what I couldn't understand either. How can the FBI investigate such an incident? It will be completely based on memories of the two or three people involved. Friends, neighbors, colleagues and all speaking up is nice but investigation has to be based on facts or evidence.

I was talking with a friend earlier today about this. Got to hear, "There is no smoke without fire. Dr. Ford has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by coming out with such allegations. A SCOTUS judge has to be blemish-free." I asked, "Would it be fair to deny him the post because of an unproven allegation?" Answer was, "yes, at such a position, for a judge who can have so much power, will have for many years, the extra scrutiny is valid."

I was left shaking my head. Aren't we an "innocent until proven guilty" country? Not, "guilty until proven innocent?" Should this be different because it is for a SCOTUS judge?

Also not sure what the Democrats can achieve by this. Even if Kavanaugh himself withdraws, Trump will pick another candidate he wants. Wasn't there a female in the list he announced back in June when Kennedy announced his retirement? This isn't about a person who in his teens groped/attacked a woman not becoming SCOTUS judge. This is about Trump stacking the SC the way he wants. And that is going to happen, no matter what.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went and read the article because you quoted it. It starred Amy Chua and so I read on till the end. Sorry but it felt like reading a tabloid story. : )

That took me to a suggested reading: https://www.theroot.com/anita-hill-to-joe-biden-i-m-good-luv-enjoy-1829154531
    Biden's "apology" last year to Anita Hill.

Laks09 likes this.