Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Doesn't answer my question: Why was the rule changed in 2015 by the Obama administration. Did it benefit anyone other than the H4's who got the eligibility to work earlier than they would have. Was their financial and other contribution to society worth allowing them to enter the job market earlier in sections with no American-worker scarcity.

I have asked this when petitions come around on whatsapp or elsewhere to support the 2015 H4 rule, but didn't get a reason I could understand to let the rule remain.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To help the American employers. Research has shown that citizens with non Caucasian sounding names are often put behind in the hiring pool after people with Caucasian sounding names. It’s not easy even in FT decades long jobs to get that promotion if your counterpart is a white male candidate.

So then, how are the H4-EAD holders getting hired? The H4-EAD market is full of candidates who work on a fraction of the pay. It really helps employers trying to keep costs down. Isn’t that why the rule came about in the first place? I believe I read that reasoning back when the rule came about. They are essentially doing it at rates I would consider beneath me. If citizens are willing to work at those rates, they do get preference.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the perspective Laks. But the question remains. The H4-EAD are willing to work for a fraction of the pay --> helps employers keep costs down, whites gets preference in hiring, promotions... None of these qualifies as sufficient reason for the govt. to change the rule.

If the govt. did change the rule for those reasons, that is wrong on so many counts. Anyway, unless we find this mentioned in USCIS or other govt. websites or news release, it is just speculation.

Sunshine04 and Laks09 like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

During the period of enlightened immigration policies of the US government (beginning with the 1965 immigration reform act under Johnson to the Obama years), the permanent residents of the USA were treated on pseudo-par with the US citizens. Because they paid taxes, and behaved well enough for a long enough period to qualify to become citizens.

In the era of h1B and h4-dependents, once the h1B is pretty much certified to become PR, but waiting in the queue because of the annual-country-limits, this is now a pseudo-PR, paying taxes, and behaving well-enough for a much much longer period. And the governments of the enlightened period had decided to treat them on pseudo-par with the pseudo-par US citizens.

That is Amulet's rationale for why the h1b's with approved I-140 or other adjustment petitions could have their spouses receive EAD's and join the workforce in whatever job they want.

Most often more hullaballoo is often made of tiny little pieces of the big show. This foreign-spouses on EAD is one such thing. I don't recall (too busy to google now) this came out of a legislation; but it is just a rule change at the agency level.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Laks09 likes this.
  5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

You should ask Obama :grin:

Laks09 likes this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

H4 people also pay taxes inspite of not being citizens/ GC holders yet.
    They contribute to US society in whatever way they can in their respective fields.
    And ofcourse again cheap labour as Laks already pointed out.

Now I have a question. Why should temporary workers pay Social security taxes apart from state and federal taxes. When there is no guarantee that he or she will become US citizens to utilise those benefits future.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

because they live here

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Sunshine04

The Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses final rule (H-4 rule), effective on May 26, 2015, seeks to support the goals of attracting and retaining highly skilled foreign workers and minimizing the disruption to U.S. businesses resulting from H-1B nonimmigrants who choose not to remain in the United States and pursue LPR status.
    Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses

Laks09 likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes paying state and federal taxes are fine. But why should temporary residents pay social security taxes? But social security benefits are utilised only by permanent residents/ citizens right?
    I am not sure though.

Laks09 likes this.
  10. Sunshine04

Yes, so long as you've worked for at least 10 years (for those born in 1929 or later). Ten years is the minimum amount of time required to earn the mandatory 40 credits. Even if you have accumulated your 40 credits, however, you can't start getting payouts until you're 62 or older.
    You need at least 40 credits (10 years of work for most Americans) to qualify for retirement benefits, and the 35 years with your highest earnings count toward your benefit level.
    You will not get any social security benefits if you don't get a green card or citizenship. There is nothing in law for H-1B visa holders that states that you will be qualified for it post retirement

Laks09, shravs3 and Viswamitra like this.