Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Laks09, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is going to be bad weather preventing him from coming.

Gauri03 and MalStrom like this.
  2. Laks09

I read them every day. I think it's good to read them to understand what the people on the other side are reading/saying/thinking. I think the Dems aren't doing a good job of reaching out to some of these nuevo Repubs. Some of them are good people who are saying they want their livelihoods back and the Repubs are conveniently pandering to their emotions.

3. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Per twitter, Grassley has heard back from everyone except 4 R’s and a couple dems. Collins, Murk, of course but now apparently sasse and Corey Gardner are also undecided. They may push vote out to Tues. they don’t have the votes right now. *May*

Gotta hand it to Heidi truly an act of courage. Hope her example is contagious. With her decision -This puts enormous pressure on Manchin as the lone dem undecided left - he may be the 50th and hence the deciding vote - which he doesn’t want that kind of notoriety I think

Laks09 likes this.
  4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Yeah I know other people who do that too.
    For me it is simple you can’t mix milk and poison. It may dilute the poison and sure that may be good for the poison but it’s gonna kill ya right? heh. To each their own I guess

Laks09 likes this.
  5. Laks09

He won’t. He will make sure Collins votes yes and then his vote won’t matter. All politics. Collins needs to vote yes to hold her senate seat.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Deleted.

was just a question about China using tiny chips to infiltrate US companies.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Heitkamp is a courageous woman. She'll lose her job over this but she was already trailing by 12 points in the latest poll. This way at least she keeps her conscience. Flake and Collins will be called on early based on last name. Manchin won't have to be the deciding vote. By the time he votes it will already have been decided. He is leading his opponent by a couple of points so he might vote no anyway. No way McConnell calls for a floor vote without being certain he has whipped the votes.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

"I might have been too emotional at times. I know that my tone was sharp, and I said a few things I should not have said. I hope everyone can understand that I was there as a son, husband and dad. I testified with five people foremost in my mind: my mom, my dad, my wife, and most of all my daughters. I will be independent and impartial justice in the Supreme Court."
    -Judge Kavanaugh

"My family and I have been the target of constant harassment and death threats. I have been called the most vile and hateful names imaginable. These messages, while far fewer than the expressions of support, have been terrifying to receive and have rocked me to my core. People have posted my personal information on the internet. This has resulted in additional emails, calls, and threats. My family and I were forced to move out of our home. Since September 16, my family and I have been living in various secure locales, with guards. This past Tuesday evening, my work email account was hacked and messages were sent out supposedly recanting my description of the sexual assault.

Apart from the assault itself, these last couple of weeks have been the hardest of my life. I have had to relive my trauma in front of the entire world, and have seen my life picked apart by people on television, in the media, and in this body who have never met me or spoken with me. I have been accused of acting out of partisan political motives. Those who say that do not know me. I am a fiercely independent person and I am no one's pawn. My motivation in coming forward was to provide the facts about how Mr. Kavanaugh's actions have damaged my life, so that you can take that into serious consideration as you make your decision about how to proceed. It is not my responsibility to determine whether Mr. Kavanaugh deserves to sit on the Supreme Court. My responsibility is to tell the truth. - Dr Christine Blasey Ford

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Laks09

I think it’s time to look at the silver lining here.
    Somebody please point me to it. I’ve had a tough week and I can’t think of anything. Usually I can.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09,

Cloture Vote was 51-49 to continue discussion until Saturday. Already 1 no vote from Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski. Senator Susan Collins is announcing her decision by 3 p.m. today. Senator Joe Manchin voted in favor only for Cloture hoping he would come to know some Republican Senators' decision about the final vote before tomorrow.

Laks09 likes this.