1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Charming!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Aug 31, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I look at you, so fondly and a little mist clouds my eyes. "How can you be so lovely?", I ask you. You don't show any reaction, but I can sense that you are happy. "Is this your trick to getting more praise?", I ask, holding you in hand. You slightly move, making me feel a tingle and make a gentle sound.

Ah! It sounds like music, you know? I said. You look so soft, but I know that you are subjected to a very high temperature, more than even a thousand degree celsius. I can't even think of surviving in one-nineth of it. And I know that everything in you is hard. And I understand why you have such a pleasing appearance. When one is subjected to the extremes and survives that, you can see a peculiar, yet very understandable stability. That makes it so special for such rare ones.

I wanted to test you more and subjected you to the extremes again, both this way and that way. Like an invincible warrior, you took it all and did not budge at all. Amazed, I dragged you a bit carelessly, from where you are comfortable seated. Alas! You fell down and broke! Once again, a cloud of mist filled my eyes as I saw you then.

"You" refers to the now broken fine white porcelain cup, that my wife gifted to me.

p.s. Porcelain is made by blending clay with other substances and heating them all to a very high temperature.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats one good piece of write up RGS. Did that cup really broken.. I hope not (since it is mentioned under stories)

3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Rgs
    That's nice.BTW is it fiction or you really broke a special gift ?
    Perfect.It's applicable to mankind too.Challenges mould a man and make him wise and mentally strong.
    Enjoyed it RGS.Thanks.
    regards
    honeybee

4. rgsrinivasan

No. Its not, as you have correctly observed. Just saw my cup and tried writing something abstract, Pallavi. But there are a few things subtle in this one too. Thanks for your appreciation. Glad to receive yours as first. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

Its fiction only Honeybee madam. And there is yet another thing too. No matter how strong a relationship is, it may not survive if ridiculed / handled carelessly. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

6. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

So true.. When subjected to high pressure and tests, the best of the traits do come out. I initially thought you were talking about a diamond. There is a general saying called Gem of a Person. I interpret it as a person shines like a Gem, only after he undergoes all the pressures which are needed to become a gem. Nice One!

7. rgsrinivasan

I like your feedback Mathangi. Experience shapes and polishes a man. I agree. Seldom do we see people who are gems by themselves, without having to undergo many things themselves. Thanks. -rgs

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one RGS dear, sad to know the cup broke which was gifted by your wife

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Viji Madam. And no, the cup is not broken. Its just another wilder piece of imagination. Looking at a white porcelain cup and having nothing to write, I just thought wild. Besides, I used to write the "eyes turning moist" for two different reasons altogether and hence broke the cup [in the story]. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs