1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Charlotte Activities?

Discussion in 'Indians in Charlotte' started by sangithajk, Jul 24, 2012.

1. sangithajk

sangithajk New IL'ite

Hey all,

I am new to IL and I am happy to be here.. I came to US 2 months back with a lot of expectation.. I am married(no kids).. Was juz wondering how to kill the time i have apart from cooking, crafting, job hunt and watching movies..i feel frustrated being indoor..is there any part time courses in any colleges which u wud know? have anyone tried that? or any other suggestions to kill my time.?

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi.. welcome to Charlotte.. Charlotte is quite a small town with not much of busy activities.. As you have just come to US, you would have imagined this city to be like New York or Washington DC.. I had the same notion which is a big mistake.. BTW.. where are you staying in Charlotte?? I live at the Traditions apartment at Mallard Creek.. Will see if we can meet up and have fun.. I have a 2 year old son who is very active.. I am also trying for the past 10 months to kill time.. And the colleges are more near downtown or near the border of South Carolina which is just 50 approx. 50 miles from my place.. This is summer.. So you can try some swimming classes.. Ask your apartment neighbors whether someone comes to your apartment to teach.. For courses, there are quite a few in community colleges and the technical institute.. Check online..

But my advice is, learn driving as quickly as possible.. Its easy because you are alone now... Once you learn driving, you can alteast drop your husband at office and take the car to go out somewhere.. Guess you would be having a GPS if you have a car.. Passing the driving test is easy.. First take a written test.. Then with that LLR, you can learn from your husband..
    Try if you can go to the Gym in your community.. Go to the playarea in the evening.. You will meet a lot of people.. Talk to them.. I could not send you a personal message as I have not sent 10 posts for this month.. Will send you my details later.. If you know any art like singing or dancing, try starting classes for kids.. U will earn a lot of money these ways.. Or if you have done a beautician course, you can do just threading and waxing with a few facials.. See if you can do a beautician course.. Learn just threading from an Indian beautician here.. U can do just threading at your apartment.. They charge $5-8 for threading.. Try some of these.. You can do all this before you have a kid.. Because, after a kid or even if you are pregnant, you cannot do any of these..

Good luck..

Luv,
    Priya

1 person likes this.
  3. sangithajk

sangithajk New IL'ite

Thanks for replying Priya..

I live at the Vinoy Blvd.. I guess ull know it.. One of my Husband's frnd is staying at traditions.. Thanks for such a detailed reply.. As u said driving is my first goal.. Juz got my learns permit today.. I had a license back in india, but not so confident in driving a car.. so need to learn it..

I am not really into any extra curricular activities other than my crafts.. from childhood i was always into crafts and not into dancing or singing.. here also im killing some time in it..

Hey I juz checked ur profile and found out tht u r from chennai.. I am actually from kerala, but was working in chennai for past 2 years.. d worst part abt being here in US is i miss chennai like hell.. im really happy tht u replied.. Im new to IL.. so im not sure how to send you a personal mail..

4. Sunshine2013

Sunshine2013 New IL'ite

Hi Sangeetha and Priya... I just happen to find your post while searching for indians in charlotte in an effort to knowing more desi's here and socialize:) being new in Charlotte..I noticed you mentioning about swimming. yes, it's an awesome option. If it's not a possibility in your apartment, Sangeetha you can take individual or group sessions at the local YMCA. It's both an excellent exercise and a great stressbuster. I took lessons this summer there and loved the experience. Plz let me know if you need more details or the nme of the instructor. I wanted to send you guys private mssg but there is some restriction on sending some 10 posts first which I couldn't do yet. Anyways, would love to know you guys more...I'm from North Charlotte and you?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi All.. Sorry for the very late reply... I jus moved to Manchester, CT... IT would have been so great if we had met... Anyways.. Lets be friends on IL.. As I said, I was totally busy with my son and did not have time to check... Keep in touch.. Do let me know if you want anything.. I know pretty much about Charlotte and have lotta friends who could help you if you want anything...