Charity Scams - Uplift A Child Upliftachild.org

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by MikaMaina, Nov 4, 2016.

1. MikaMaina

MikaMaina New IL'ite

I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.. posting my experience to create awareness only.

A few years back, I suddenly got the feeling that I have to help some child with education.. Living in the US and having not knowing anyone who does charity directly i resorted to online search. I found this nice website and I could talk with someone when I called them. Extremely impressed with the chit chat and the things they do to educate the ones in need. So I randomly picked one girl child who was in second grade and started sending money for tuition (about $200 per year) . After couple of years, they had a suggestion to provide lunch too as the kids come from very poor families and usually don't eat lunch. So added another ($150 or so) . They would send some progress reports now and then and send pictures for annual day etc etc. well 8 years passed by and suddenly I realized that the kid I was sponsoring was in 10th grade and I wanted to wish her good luck before her public exams . I tried to contact and was told that the girl passed 10th and they are not in touch with her anymore.. Imagine my surprise and anger.. They apologized and immediately returned my last payment .

That is when I suspected that they could be a scam. I dug through all the old emails .. I realized that they never sent the year end progress report.. its always some other exam. The school name was never visible. I did pester them to speak with the girl and finally they gave some number.I did talk with someone and she told me that she was NOT given all the things that were promised. A few items were distributed and that's it.

Anyway I am posting all this just to create awareness. Its good to help others but the feeling of being cheated leaves a bitter taste and lasts longer.
    So please be aware of the non profit org through which you are helping.