1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Chappal Chor

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Chappal Chor

Yesterday an article in TOI had me laughing. It seems there are people who steal shoes in America ! I thought that people only steal in India. Like my friend here who has a branded shoe store, a guy comes in. tries a 5000 shoe one pair, then says let me try the other one, wears , walks, and suddenly runs out of the store, and there his friend is waiting on a running bike, and off they zoom.

He leaves behindhis beloved old shoe for the shop keeper to beat his head with.

Foot loot: Cunning crooks devise a new way to steal sneakers from store displays | Daily Mail Online

Well in New York, it works like this. Some shops just keep the left shoe on display. He wears, likes, and when the salesman is looking the other way, runs away with the left one. Well a shop selling the same brand in the same street ahead, keeps the right shoes on display.

Same stunt tried there, and this guy gets a new shoe, while the shopkeepers are left with one side of the shoe each. Well if they are friends, they can put the left and the right, sell, and share the sale proceeds, and cut the loss eh ! Who knows !

And how can that be prevented? Why not all shoe stores, have just the left or the rigth displayed, so that taking away one shoe would make no sense for the theif, for all the stores would be keeping that one only on display !

In Mumbai, when we used to go for condolences, and eave our shoes , most of the times, the good ones would be stolen. I have myself walked barefeet home many a times. Now what we do is, have a pair of silly slippers always in car, in the boot. Rather a few pairs, of different sizes. When we go to the condolence meet, we remove our shoes in the car, wear the slippers and go. The slippers are so wornout and cheap, no self respecting theif would steal the slippers, its just not worth his efforts.

Reminds me of the shoe scams of the sixties, tole to me by my Dad. In those days , imports were restricted, u had to buy an import licence to import just about anything. And import duties could go up to 300 percent of the price, hence the underinvoicing etc. One fellow came up with a brainwave.

He imported shoes, the left pairs packed off for say Calcutta, and the right pair landed at Mumbai port. The importer refused to clear the goods, saying there was a mistake from the shipper, and what will he doe with the all left pairs. Well they were auctioned by the customs, and his cronies bid and took them dirt cheap.

Ame they did with the right pairs in Mumbai, got that cheap at the auction, then mixed the two and sold at a handsome profit, maybe sharing with some officials who may have smelled a rat.

This is the first part of the scam. Here is the second part. Since he did nto take delivery of the goods, he used the import licence again to import, this time the goods landed the same way, but in different ports, say vizag, and kandla. Again the auction, the purchase, and huge profits.

Those days we swore on the shoes made in Agra. They were strong, sturdy, and decent looking with a good polish and leather. In mumbai we used to go to Grant Road for these Agra shoes, will the richer people went to Colaba to Stores like Regal, Metrol and others. Bata was old fashioned then.

Well I was surprised to see the other day, a Bata shop having this written on their showcase
    DUE TO TODAY’S FASHIONS, THERE IS NO GUARANTEE !!! Imagine Bata saying this, whose shoes used to last for generations, with a few repairs done by the mochi. Times change.

A Wall street broker is divorcing his wife, and demanding that he be given half the shoes , 1000 pairs expensive ones, that his wife owns.

Wall Street mogul Daniel Shak sues ex-wife Beth over her $1m shoe collection | Daily Mail Online

Daniel Shak who is in divorce proceddings, has told the judge that his wife has spent a million dollors of his hard earned money on her shoes, and he wants 35 percent of her shoes. He says he was unaware of her large collection, which she kept in a secret room in the apartment !!!!

HAHA.

Please read it, makes for a good reading, but what I dotn understand is , what would she be doing wioth so many shoes ? Well like I read here, some ladies have hundreds of sarees and still want more eh !

To each their own, eh !

KAMAL MAHTANI

2 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hahah shoe chor you will find them everywhere in India. Someone stealing shoes in America has to be a news becoz these things happen very rarely there:biggrin2:

I remembered one incident some long time back. I never remove my shoes or heals anywhere i go I am use to wearing them. In one such occasion that is had to do arthi to bride and groom and one my bhabhi told me to remove the sandles and do the arthi. I did so as soon as i finished I came to wear my heals and lol that is gone. I was so angry poor bhabhi of mine removed her's and gave it to me to wear until I go home or get another pair.
    Now I just tell them you guys want me to do all sort of such things I am doing it with my shoes on if not, not interested. They know this girl will do what she wishes so they just sit quietly and make me do the arthi with my chappals on:)

1 person likes this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, the scam of the sixties that you have mentioned was in the Movie "Badmash Company" - Shahid Kapoor and Anushka Sharma.

In India, i generally leave my sandal in the car and go barefeet to the temple.

1 person likes this.
  4. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

I remember one of our relatives using this technique. Whenever he goes to temple along with his family, he keeps all the left ones at one place and all the right ones at another corner far away. In this way his footwear is saved every time.

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

You have dedicated this entire post for shoe-related news. One about the shoe-stealer in the US and other about a New York Stock Broker demanding 35% of his wife's shoe collection back in the divorce proceeding. I agree with you that standardization of displaying only right or left shoe by all would avoid such incidences in future. I also wonder how much money the New York Stock Broker should be making each year in order to not notice $1 million dollar shoe collection made by his wife. I wonder what he was thinking when he demanded 35% of shoes back. I don't think anyone would want her shoe collection.

Viswa

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,
    Yes this happened in America so this tickled me no end. Now they dont dare point fingers at us . So Arti cost you yr shoes. Do u know a few NRI wedding i have attended, the bride and the groom take pheras with shoes on, when it is in 5 star, where shoes dont get stolen, but the boy does not want to pay for his shoes to his sister in law, as is the custom.HAHA

Well one such weddign ended in divorce, were the gods angry that the saat pheras were performed with shoes on? Well i am not superstitous, but who knows.HAHA

Yes and with shoes being pretty expensive these days, who wants to take chances eh !

Regards

kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,

i have not seen the movie, but it was an interestign one in those days. i know of many , let the time come, barefeet, well my feet are tender, so i carry the silly rubber slippers where3ever i go, one pair is there in eachcar of mine, who knows it is raining, at least i have that cheap one.

HAHA

REgads

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oysterzzz,

Welcome to my blogs. Good idea this, yes a theif does not have too much time really for all this.So if he sees one part of the shoe, he will not take it. An excellent idea really.The problem is to remember where did u keep the other part.HAHA

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Yes alld evoted to shoes. i could have added the Almeda Marcos , and her collection of shoes, or the Nizam of Hyderabad, but the blog was getting long.

Yes what would he do with the shoes, but to spite her. what if they had a dog, would they have cut it off inhalf ?

i wonder.

Regards

kamal