Chapathis Chapathis

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 3, 2012.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Hi girls, you can prepare the dough with normal salt and water and make sure the dough is not hard.It should be kneaded very well and at last add a teaspoon of oil.That oil will be more than enough.Wrap the dough in a plastic cover or zip lock bag and put the cover in a bowl and pour cold water in the bowl so that the dough will not get spoiled due to room temperature.You can avoid keeping the dough in refrigerator this way .

Usually the dough becomes hard when refrigerated. While making chappatis do not use oil at all.Keep the flame high and turn the chappatis faster and the chappatis will get cooked very well.Do not keep the flame medium or low.It will make the chappatis harder.by this method your chappatis will be soft during your lunch time.Good luck.

2. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

in my 1 year of cooking i got chappthis after doing this.
    1. dont keep the stove in sim, it should super dooper hot when u put chappathi on it.
    2. dough should be little bit loose,not so hard ..
    3. and the most importantly don't cook chappathi for longtime (as the stove is super dooper hot,it cooks very soon moreover it is thin so don't need much time)

follow this surly u will get good chappathi. i don't believe adding curd/milk/hot water makes a difference because i have tried all these but no use

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Hi there,
    It's geeting better. I made the dough bit soft & when i try to flatten it, i concentrate on edges. It comes up very soft when i put it directly on stove after putting it for a sec in tava.I haven't yet explored adding curd to the dough till now.

Thanks a lot for your tips ladies.

4. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Blackbeauty,

you can prepare the dough and keep it in fridge.
    then whenever you require, you can use it. it won't get spoiled.

5. deepa10

deepa10 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Yea, actually one of my friend came to my house and taught me this :) I tried and got real soft chapathis.. My husband just loved it :) I did the same way as you have mentioned.. A little soft dough, put on tava for a min and then directly on stove..!! And she called it as Phulkas.. For chapathis, apply a little oil and use tava itself..!! It works..... :thumbsup

6. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

As subha says don`t keep the roti on the tawa for long. As soon as you see bubbles appearing on the roti turn the side and apply a little bit of oil. The roti should not remain long keep tossing it. One of my friends suggests that if the soft dough is kept inside oil covers and placed in the fridge remains fresh and doesnot discolour. I tried keeping pillsbury, aashirwad dough in tupperware inside fridge and yes it became dark the next day. I bought sharbati atta and it didnt discolour surprisingly. So I believe we should keep on experimenting till the rotis become perfect. There is no limit for exploration. I use only water and a little bit of oil for kneading.