1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changes In Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by periamma, Mar 16, 2018.

1. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Last week my son was on a short trip to India.A discussion went on between my son and my grandson prior to the travel. My Son told him I am going to India to see my parents and return after a week. My grandson replied Dad I will miss you . why do you want to go there? You can see them in facetime.As he want to escape his son's questions my son asked my GS to talk to me and he asked the same question. I said I have no facetime access in my phone and so it is not possible can to see them all. That little lovely boy gave a suggestion to download facetime and my reply was I don't know to download. He said "Thatchi you know everything but acts as if you know nothing. " I just laughed and then asked him to allow his dad to spend time with his parents for one week .Halfheartedly he said OK and my son visited us.i cooked all his favorite food and he enjoyed the dishes. We were also happy being with our son and our body and mind got nourished with his love and affection.

As elders we miss the baby talk of grand kids due to the changes of present world .i always enjoy their argument and love their brilliancy. I give small gifts like books, I-pad cover, some origami made by myself. Now on crocheting two sets of blankets for my grandsons. One for my Daughter's son and the other for my son's son.when I visit them, cook special dishes for them and when they say yummy I feel like flying in the sky singing woo lalala.This is what we need after certain age. Now I am in my niece's house having fun with the grandson here.

Tomorrow going back to my nest where i feel loneliness.But this is the reality of life. There are many phases in life which must be faced with ease to have a peace of mind. When we moved from our parents to other places for the work nature, they might have undergone the same issues.
    Village to Towns, Towns to Cities and now to other countries. What a Vast changes in life!

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Periamma,

Change is the only unchangeable thing in life.I was brought up in a joint family with 25 people under the same roof, all kids sleeping in the pyol ( thinnai) of the big thatched house.No electricity.We had three big lanterns, one in the kitchen, one for reading and one hanging in the hall to be taken to the bathroom.
    Our studies were in the outer bright airy prakaram of Akilandeswari temple.
    Our married life started with a tube light and a small table fan in a single room in Madras.
    Till 1984 I had only manual grindstone and no fridge.
    Now we have fans in all the rooms and A/c in the bed room.
    As age advances, we may not be able to lift and clean wet grinders ,may be due to
    spinal problems, we may depend on idli batter bought from the shop notwithstanding
    the quality.
    The eagerly awaited post card is gone for ever.We await whatsapp messages and we have to be satisfied with skype and facetime.
    We are so familiar with virtual grandmas talking with virtual grandchildren.
    Perhaps our son may lit the funeral pyre from US through 'remote'.

What a change!Accept it whether you like it or not!

Jayasala42

iman, Thyagarajan, knbg and 3 others like this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

More than anything, it is the elders who have to accept and adjust to the changes. Expecting children to always go as per our wishes these days, is not practical - it will only hinder their progress in life. I feel it is better we accept the changes in the years ahead and remain happy in the thought that our children have imbibed good from us and will take the legacy forward in their turn even if they may not at our beck and call.

salad, GoneGirl, Thyagarajan and 2 others like this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42 Thanks for your quick response.

5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@joylokhi Thanks ma No other way we have to accept the changes. This is what passed on by our elders

joylokhi likes this.
  6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear @periamma

Thanks for a nice anecdote with a message. Loneliness and empty nest are a part of life. Making the most of whatever little we get is essential for healthy survival.

Thyagarajan and periamma like this.
  8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@GeetaKashyap Thanks ma. Very true

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:a superb thread with superb feedback.
    2. avani avittam, varalakshmi vratham to persons settled in USA and other European countries are being performed by my our family priest online, your seemingly fiction in the quote above would be real virtual ritual online in future.
    3. As I read the post of sister periamma, mind is flooded with incidents but I confine to text typed this long.
    thanks and regards.
    God Blesss Us al.

periamma and GeetaKashyap like this.
  10. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Felt really good reading about your days @periamma @jayasala42 .

As with everything there is pros and cons for nuclear family, kids moving out of country, grandkids not available physically to spend time with grandkids. Grandkids miss warmth of grandparents love, paati's yummy snacks, thatha's stories walking and stuff.

Wish relationship are good bw youngster and old generation (dil n mil) so some quality vacations can be spent together..

periamma and Thyagarajan like this.