1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Challenges While Parenting 8year Old

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by DGcreative, Mar 21, 2018.

1. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies

I was away from Indusladies for a while as got busy with work, child routine.

My son will now soon be 8 years.

We moved to a new locality 2 years ago. Initially my son would mostly spend his time home watching TV or playing or plain getting bored.

Recently he started interacting with building friends & now has his own gang of friends. So now every moment at home he wishes to spend with his friends. I understand these are growing years

There are few other changes in him too which I am kind of worried about.
    1) He has become aggressive at times. Will argue unnecessary for petty things.
    2) I have noted him lying for silly things. His face changes when he lies & I tell him very softly that I do know when he lies.
    3) Recently he got a comment from teacher that he is inattentive despite of repeated warnings.
    4) He has become very distracted. He does not finish a single game or drawing/painting.
    5) Recently we had pooja in building & there were games for kids. He did not win in any...& we as parents have never burdened him or pushed him for winning any time. But still he was narrating about the games & said I came second so why no prize to me...when he did not secure any position. He had done similarly at his school sports where he said I came third but sir had not seen it.

Ladies I need suggestions as I think there is something wrong in handling or dealing with him.

2. IMDBEST

IMDBEST New IL'ite

Hi
    My son is 10 but I also see similar changes in him as spending much time with his friends & taking no interest in doing any work, may be sports, or studies or writing or drawing...i too remained worried as well...I realize in class he just nods his head without understanding anything ? Even at home when I teach, he just rushes to complete his work without putting in efforts to understand things...Don't know what to do ?

3. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Hi , I came across similar kind of situation when my kid is 6. But only lieing part. It means they want to win n get recognized. They don't want to be lower compared to anyone. So at first when I come to know about lies I got so much angry n shouted at him. Later I realized if we shout it will create more problems. Slowly in nights before sleeping I started telling stories related to his moral.next I put him in classes where he is interested n showcase his goodies. I requested teacher to appreciate him then n there. Finally he is not lieing now. Even he lose he don't mind. He ll say it's all in the game. We are also appreciate his works. I don't know it's right suggestion. Just worked for me.

4. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

Bed time chat would help. A positive approach in what we need to seed I would suggest. Instead 'you should not lie', you can say whatever it is to ma I am always there for you and so be it.
    Our bed time chat involves these QAs.
    1.How was de day?
    2.I'm sorry for xyz baby.
    3.I share my day's top stories.
    4.Is there anything you want to share with ma?
    5. Mummy loves you. God bless you.
    Moments before kids sleep is where we can grab their most of the emotional needs and struggles. We as a parent do best for kids undoubtedly,but we should not forget their world is entirely different:)

Hope it helps. Happy parenting.

SmilingGirl02 and DGcreative like this.
  5. diva31

diva31 Guest

hey! I hope you are doing well. I think that raising kids is the biggest challenge of your life. I have 6 kids. My first triplets are almost 14, a son and two daughters. Then I have a son who is now 10. and the youngest is a 3 years old son. so, you can say that I have raised two daughters and two sons from this age that you are talking about. I know lady what it is like. I have read your kid's story. I would say that all you need to do is to keep balance. Don't be too strict or too polite. He definitely needs your love, attention, and care but also a little strictness, anger, and punishments. god, bless you and your family! Love!

6. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

Wow:) I admire you! I am mother of multiple,lil I know about handling same age brats;)