1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Celebrating the (im) perfect woman

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Keerti16, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

This post has been sitting in my drafts for sometime now .I wanted to make this post on women’s day but since yesterday I have come across so many takes on this that I almost decided not to post but then today morning I changed my mind. There is surely enough space in blogsphere for all our rants.

This is the star plus anthem, if you have not watched it, pls do so now.

Well I loved the music score and hated everything else about it.

Let’s start at the beginning, when the women kind first ventured into education and job world she was questioned and chastened that she will not be then able to do her duty as a wife, mother and DIL. Her answer to all these allegations was to prove that she could do both and manage everything beautifully. She would take women friendly jobs like teaching, state bank employee etc etc. Kudos to those few women who dared to step outside and prove that they could do it all (I am sure they had to deal with loads of problems along the way). As years went by, all jobs including teaching became demanding and now we have reached a point when nothing is as easy as it looks.

I remember my ammama (maternal grandmother) wanted my mother to be exactly like this slim, good looking superwoman in star plus. She wanted her to wake up early, do exercise, fix coffee and breakfast for husband and in-laws, care for their health, make time to romance with her husband, fix nutritious lunch for her two children, be social and fun with neighbors, be devout and traditional when required and slip into a glamorous saree while entertaining, keep a good paying job and do extremely well at it. She should be adored by one and all and should never bitch about anyone. I could go on and on but you get the idea. For whatever it was worth my mother did really try hard to do it all but it was never enough for my ammama.

Amma if you are reading this I want you to know that you achieved so much by just trying and I applaud you for that alone, I on the other hand don’t even want to try and will not try. My ammama tried her best to nurture these values in me and well she failed.

In my ammama’s defense she just wanted the best for her daughter and grand daughters along her limited vision. She did belong to an all together different generation which had very different variables when compared to ours. I want to ask the people, especially the women who belong to this generation, are you been fair? Forget fairness, are you even human to expect such super human feats from yourselves and your fellow women? For look around you, the men in your lives have not moved an inch and continue to play only limited roles. No one expects anything more of them today than they did say two generations ago. All they require to be applauded is to take care of their parents even after marriage ( aka live with them) and make a decent living. It is still justified and considered normal if the man can’t even lift his own towel before going to bath and all those men who do deign to take out the garbage are looked up to as demi god’s and their wives have to listen endlessly to comments like “How lucky you are. Your husband takes the trash out:clap” to no end! Hello, why are expectations with regard to our men in our life so low? :confused2:Have you ever heard a man been called lucky just because his wife is working at an IT company?

This piece represents everything wrong with our society today. Some glaring points are-do the woman and her husband have no duty towards her parents? Where is she making time for them? Why should every perfect woman live with her in laws? How is that she has no bad days on which she over eats and becomes overweight? What about acne? What about the recalcitrant child? Why does she not have a daughter? How about some moody days where she is just upset and irritated for no particular reason? When does she find time to have a good cry? Why can she not be unreasonable at times? Why should she always be adjusting and tolerant? Why can she not do something or vice verse because she wishes it that way?

Women are just as human as men and deserve to be loved and celebrated even when they are not perfect.

The woman and the different roles she plays have been discussed and written about to ad nauseam levels. Really, not many seem to celebrate her with her imperfections and inability to play all roles to perfection at the same time. Almost everyone expects her to forget that she is human first, then a woman and then everything else. All articles start with how girl turns into a woman, does her duty as a sister, daughter, wife,DIL , mother and then dies as the ever loving grandma. I am not scoffing at the woman who does it all. In fact kudos to her. All I am saying is that an office going career woman who is single has as much reason to be applauded as a homemaker. A woman who is not a biological mother deserves to loved and appreciated as much as anyone else. A woman who cares for her parents should be looked up to for she is daring to do something that society scoffs at. No woman should have to do it all to deserve our respect and appreciation.

This clip would have been far better if every frame/scene had a different woman doing something different in it. Had it shown real women, in all their imperfections coping in different roles at different walks of life it might have stuck a cord.

On a lighter note, I wonder what kind of video this would have been if the lead protagonist had been a man?:wink: What would we as a generation have to show and applaud about the different roles of men in our life’s?

At the risk of censure from almost all educated, progressive women (Yes, we women do expect our kind to be ever tolerant and adjusting- one has to only look at the bashing the few women receive for simply saying they don’t want to live with their in-laws for whatever reason), for daring to say things that are politically incorrect, :hide: I will come out of the chair to press the submit button.

Happy woman’s day.

2. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> A woman who is not a biological mother deserves to be loved and appreciated as much as anyone else.

Of course. I have a friend who decided that she doesn't want to have children. She decided this before she got married. [I didn't want her to regret this decision later and tried to talk her out of this but she was firm in her decision.] She found a mate agreeable to this. As far as I know, they are living happily ever after. She is pretty high up on the list of people I admire. A long time ago, she contacted me after reading my writings -- that's how we became friends. So, obviously, she is also a woman of good taste :)

"“How lucky you are. Your husband takes the trash out” to no end! Hello, why are expectations with regard to our men in our life so low?"

Let's not push the bar too high, too fast :) I am of course kidding. I can't stop talking about my friend and her husband. Her husband is in the US, earning a living and trying to keep the family hearth burning, while she is out saving the world. And I am NOT kidding about this.

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hi da..

"There is surely enough space in blogsphere for all our rants."
    Very true keerthi.

Your writing is more than a rant..it's got solid stuff like the one on the woman who is not a biological mother.

Kudos to you:bowdown

:cheers
    Saras

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Wow, wonderful article on Women's day! Really enjoyed it :thumbsup.
    But, whatever said, done, changed, a women can never walk alone in the middle of the night and come back safe.
    Society should stop looking at her as an object of beauty, passion and pleasure, until that happens, nothing else really matters :rant

5. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Dear sojourner,Saras and Navs

Thanks for reading and stopping by.

Cheers