Caution-while travelling in train!!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Poem, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Poem

Poem Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

This is one of the incident i have seen before few months. I am just sharing with you all..

I use to travel in train frequently. As usual my journey in train towards my hometown has started at around 10:00 PM. As usual ticket checking was done, since it is already late people in the compartment has switched off the light and started to sleep.
    It was around 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM, everybody heard a lady crying loudly and woke up. The train was moving very slowly i.e., started to move from one of the in between stations.
    People around in the compartment inquired the lady on what has actually happened. She told that some stranger has snatched her mangalyam(chain - around 80 grams of gold) and get down of the train.
    The thing is, the lady was sleeping in side lower birth which became very easy for that person to snatch the chain. He has done that when the train started moving from the in between station and get down, so that people cannot follow him.

Ornaments are not only money oriented and it also has lot of emotional feelings. From that day onwards I use to tell this to people whom I met and alert them. My suggestions are:
    1. While travelling in train do not opt for side lower. Even though it is comfortable for us to travel, it is comfortable for snatchers as well.
    2. Try not to wear very costly jewels. If you have no other choice(in case of mangalyam), cover your neck with some dhupatta while sleeping.
    3. Tie your chains with a strong safety pin with your garments, so that when some one try to snatch, immediately you can be aware of and it will be little difficult to snatch the chain as well.

Even while going out for shopping in a crowded place you can try the third point which I said, which might be useful.

Thanks.

9 people like this.

2. Superwoman

Superwoman Gold IL'ite

thanks

I should tel this to my PILs who often travel in train. they always prefer side lower berth with lot of jewels!

3. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Good tips. Thanks.

4. rasikapriyan

rasikapriyan Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the useful tips.

5. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

hi Poem,

Thanks for the sharing.

I have seen chain snatching even in local trains that we use for daily travelling.

As a thumbrule, its better to follow your point no. 3

Cheers
    Sweetlife

6. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Incidents like these are getting very common when using public transport. One must be very cautious when on a journey. Considering the heavy rush in trains these days, due to reservation limitations it is not always possible to get berths of choice, so we should be careful not to wear heavy and attractive jewellery when on travel. I always wear artificial jewellery. Better be safe than sorry

7. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

Very useful tips poem.. Thank for sharing..

8. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Yes, very useful post.. My mom follows the third tip during travel.. :)

9. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the sharing.

1 person likes this.