1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Caution : Ami in driving seat

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Jun 10, 2010.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Finally I am polishing my driving skills. It has been almost a decade since I took my car DL and till date haven’t had the courage (not for me but for the rest) to drive alone without supervision. My DH is a late riser and so I was postponing and postponing this. Finally when I started to zero down on a car (i10 is my fav as of now) and when DH understood either he has to lose his sleep or some 6lakhs he went for the former :crazy [He he that always work, doesn’t it?] So thus for the past 3days I am driving car to my office and from there he will drive down to his. Though it’s been just 3days I learned quite a lot in this short time. Don’t know how, but from the start itself I came to know I have some genes of the like of our dear Schumacher and unknowingly my leg goes for the accelerator. So I find it very tough to drive in Bangalore traffic where your legs have to be on the B&C full time.

First day went smooth without any incidents, but second day my Schumacher genes woke up and I pressed on the accelerator to overtake a rick [Till now I can’t figure out what poor judgment led me to do so!!!!??:bonk] Thaddaa and it happened, the car just breezed on to the auto and I (and my poor DH) was showered with many kannada abuses. After an n number of sorries a guilty, head hanging I took the driving seat. :hide:I didn’t expect this will happen and so was tensed throughout, till I pressed brakes in front of my office. Thus I learned that you shan’t never ever overtake any vehicle in narrow road when there is traffic. That we have to look both in the front, back, left and right simultaneously (Now I understood why drinking and driving is really deadly….with my full concentration I am finding it hard then I can’t imagine it for a drunkard). How careful we should be while crossing roads and when being pedestrian (Most of the people out here seems like they have developed a partial deafness towards honking).

Today it went on smooth except that the engine kept turning off when I put in first gear after signals(I think DH is gonna lose his sleep and his 6lakhs!! God only knows what condition will his poor Alto end up in after my driving lessons). Just now I checked in my diet/workout tracking site(for fun) how many calories am I losing by driving the car. It shows 57 for 30minutes!!! Not bad, and since I am still a student I am damn sure me and DH are gonna shed out at least 1Kg per month from this cardio workout and my lovely DH's patience level is gonna shoot up.:yes:

Sequel

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A great read, Ami. The whole world accuses 'women drivers'. But I find that the design of the car is biased towards the masculine. Research shows that if you have the crucial controls in the feet (accelerator clutch and the brake) you make the scale tilt against woman. And that is not fair.
    I admire the courage. And hats off to your DH. Though my DW learnt to drive I have never let her use the car. She happily drives a two-wheeler instead.
    The other day I flew from Chennai to Madurai. As I got down from the craft getting a mechanical good-bye from the stewardess I asked her, "Is the pilot of this plane, a woman?"
    "No, Sir. But the first officer is. But why do you ask, was the landing a little too rough? I thought somebody would ask and you did."
    how can I explain my innocence to her in the few seconds left before she starts her next mechanical namsthe?
    sridhar

3. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi ami... Welcome to the jungle raj which rules the roads of our dear city bangalore... over here the rule is fittest will survive!!!...
    thought I would pen a few tips
    * always watch out for the autos & 2 wheelers / BPO vehicles at all signals... invariably all the ones on the left will go towards the right and vice versa...
    * NEVER try and nudge or overtake a BTS bus he will definately catch up & put you in a spot.. they hate women drivers
    * keep looking at the rear view / side mirrors as most 2 wheelers / autos overtake from the left!!
    * If you know which side you will turn suggest keep on that side all through...
    * At all one way streets keep an alert eye for vehicles coming down the wrong way
    * Whilst driving avoid using your mobile atleast till you get full concentration and control...
    Last and Not the least... please control those Schumacher genes ... can't drive beyond 40km/hr and hardly can use 5th gear in this city... so safe that for a long romantic drive with DH...
    all the best
    K

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridharji thanks for giving the first fb and the info above, now I can say this always when my DH calls out "Auntieeeee" when a lady driver does something wrong:idea

Wow even from the landing you can understand whether its a woman or not, sincerely I cant.

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ami,

Though I know nothing of driving but when my DH used car driving for the first time. I used to be with him to tell him whether anything is wrong and if any vehicle is coming on the left side. And invariable at all traffic signals or at a turn the engine would be silenced and it took him a while to restart to the ire of all other vehicle owners.

But now he drives well, hence do not worry just little practice and you may drive down to the meet on saturday. Hoping to meet you there dear.

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Kelly dear, happy to see your comment:) and thanks for the tips...ofcourse its jungle raj here but I think its much better than Hyd traffic...once I saw a jeep just running down the road, only when it reached near I saw that a kid is driving it!!!!

* always watch out for the autos & 2 wheelers / BPO vehicles at all signals... invariably all the ones on the left will go towards the right and vice versa...

Yeah this I have learnt in my 2days, the BPO vehicle drivers never ever leave their hand from horns!!

* NEVER try and nudge or overtake a BTS bus he will definately catch up & put you in a spot.. they hate women drivers

This is new for me ,thanks for letting me know:)

* keep looking at the rear view / side mirrors as most 2 wheelers / autos overtake from the left!!

I dont understand what is their obsession with left??!!!

* Whilst driving avoid using your mobile atleast till you get full concentration and control...

Using mobile phone??!! I dont even hear it ringing while I am driving:bonk

please control those Schumacher genes ... can't drive beyond 40km/hr and hardly can use 5th gear in this city...

I am trying my best to do that, else it wont be far when I get many punches in the DL book!!

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lalitha thanks for coming in:) I know how your DH must have felt, this was exactly what I went through today.The car wont simply move!!! God knows the gear condition by the time I learn:hide:

No luck, my DH is out of town and he is driving down to Pondi...may be I will drive down for the next meet and give all of you a cardio session:biglaugh

PS: Thanks for reminding about the meet, due to work I completely forgot to check my mail so unaware of venue and time. Will check and confirm my presence, hoping to meet you all:cheers

8. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

dear ami,

good luck with your driving.don't give up.some of the best drivers are women (my sister for eg)

and ya, nobody follows any road rules here, so like you said, you have to keep your eyes right, left, in the front, behind, up, down, and every other direction possible simultaneously.!

9. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi Ami,

You did make me smile. Lovely writing. Enjoy your driving and yes hope too see you in F1 soon.

I remember when after a long vacation, i tried to get my hands on the driver seat... it was like without revision appearing for main exams. Near Marina Beach in Chennai, my hubby handed over the precious steering with lot of caution...and you know a young guy who was jogging literally jumped to the side and was puffing and also staring at me seeing the car moving at full speed towards him. It was my hubby who just helped me to stop the car in time and from then i have not ventured into it again.:hide:.

Hope to gather many tips from this post so that i can brush up and get geared for my forth coming vacation again.

Love,
    Parvathi.

10. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ami,

Just could not stop myself from smiling and to be honest felt bad for your DH, surely he must be loosing sleep as well as weight about you training to be a Schumacher. Hahahahaha.

All the best for your driving lessons.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva