1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Catching A Fly!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 24, 2016.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Have you ever tried catching a fly?

Perhaps you might have, during your childhood. You must have been quick to realize that it never was an easy task. The more you feel you are closer to it, more frustration will result, as it seemed to kind of anticipate every move of yours and acted accordingly. Beyond a point, you start feeling the whole exercise as fruitless and wonder why you have tried doing that in the first place. Other thoughts would follow, like, you could have spent that time useful in 'n' number of things, including taking a short nap [for people like me]. To top it all, the feeling of having lost would be pricking you too.

But associating a value with it, you might even try doing the same thing again, for a bigger gain. You try to have some device, formulate a strategy even as you start anew, and may already dream about having it in your grasp. And you keep on building your thoughts till a time when you realize that you haven't actually caught it. So you go back to the game and wait for it to come. As your wait and expectation grows, the fly seems to know about your plans too and keeps you waiting. As seconds seem to crawl like days, you suddenly feel that you are lost again and feel bitter that even a tiny fly can take you for granted.

Disgruntled, you act like a mad man and use harsh ways to communicate even to your dear ones so, they move away in a hurry. Few minutes later, you start feeling sad and want to make it up. But you feel that your temper is flaring once again as you are questioned about what went wrong. You cannot but explain the silly thing to them for the fear that you might be mocked right after. You continue to detract and that very act makes your dear ones perhaps to become a bit edgy. "Ah! Its nothing! Why don't you leave that?", you shout, leaving them more disappointed. You then go back to your "zone" and keep wondering why you can't just be left for yourself. Instead of catching the fly, you are now fully caught!

Other things come up and you go back to your normal self, indulging more and more in otherwise mundane activities. Days fly and after a hectic day, you come back all exhausted, wanting nothing but rest. And your dear ones seem to take their cue and behave perfectly. You are satisfied and are just about to retire to bed when a question comes with a lot of hesitation - "Can you tell me what bugged you so much the other day?". Now that fly doesn't matter at all, though it sits right on your forehead.

You are caught again!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    vaidehi71, Amica and kaniths like this.

2. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @rgsrinivasan ,

Oh, flies have got special 360 degree covering bunch of eyes and you can't catch them normally. But I have seen in my childhood some boys catching them easily with a sweeping fast action and closing their palms safely like a box without hurting them.

True all of us get tensed up for some non- issues too!.

I think developing an attitude of enjoying challenge, is the best way to face problems in life!

Nice snippet. Enjoyed!

vaidehi71 and rgsrinivasan like this.
  3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Suryakala Madam for your first response to this post and for your appreciation too.
    Yes, I tried catching a fly and alas, ended up empty handed. And the fly here is a metaphor for something else. Happy to see that you caught that. :) -rgs

suryakala likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

Your fly caught me today or I caught your fly.

What a great snippet! I enjoyed reading it.

In our school days we have heard of'-E-adichan copy' or'ellaam nuzhenchathu.Vaal muttum nuzhaiyavillai' etc in schools.

When the teacher asked" Did everything enter the brain,the boy was looking at a rat that was playing on the roof top trying to enter a hole.Immediately came the reply" everything entered, but not the tail". That boy passed the I.C. S, exam in those days ( equal to IAS, because he had great concentration and focus,

You have spoken about the metaphoric 'EE'.

On many occasions unnecessary thoughts virtually leave you as a prisoner of cruel mind.Very

Many techniques have been developed to block unnecessary ,unproductive thoughts thoughts, but nothing is quite fruitful.

One of my friends who was riding a bike saw his neighbour's son aged 7 waiting at the bus stop during school hrs.With an intention of helping the child he took the boy by motor cycle.Just a few steps before reaching the school. a water tanker came onthe wrong side of the road, hit against the bike killing the child instantly.

The gentleman felt miserable though it was entirely the tanker's fault.' Why did I take the boy by bike.If he had travelled by us, he would have been alive'.Though the parents didn't blame him at all, the man became so much upset, got a stroke and passed away just on the 10th day of the accident.

At least this is understandable.On many occasions just foolish thoughts come to the brim.Very often I get the thought that I have to re appear for three more pps and that I have not fully prepared and blink in the exam hall.It takes time to gather all about the University Rank I got.
    A blocked thought is challenging and is likely to rebound.As and when we try to block, another part of the brain is actively searching for the same thought to bring it back.
    What psychologists advise you is not to block the thoughts but to make plans to cope up with the thought if it occurs again.This type of preparedness makes you ignore and it is surprising that on our expecting the guest, he does not arrive at all, reduces his visits and finally disappears,

very often we have heard the guru advising the shishya not to think of a monkey during meditation.It so happened that the disciple thought only about monkey..
    Guru also knew about this.Then why at all did he suggest about the monkey to the student?
    ."In reality one cannot live with just what one wants to live with. To be able to steer your mind away from that which is not desired to that which is desired, is the true art of meditation," the guru pointed out.

For searching for Sita Hanuman had to walk into another man's bedroom, have a look at the wives of Ravana.He had to ignore so many things until he saw matha Sita in Ashoka vana.

Mahabharatha abounds in such stories where one can succeed even in spiritual life notwithstanding impediments and obstacles.

Dear RGs,So great you are!

You are capable of taking me to different heights with a simply 'fly-EE.Whether the fly was caught or not, you have entrapped me with your snippet.

Jayasala 42

5. rgsrinivasan

Whoa! That took me quite sometime to read Jayasala Madam.
    As usual, an excellent feedback. Thanks very much.

My focus was all about what to do with an abstract, but not so meaningful [at that moment] thought that keeps coming however much you try to block. In the early stages of meditation, this is quite common and the more we try to evade it, the more disturbed we get. The best recommended way is also mentioned by you, already. Each of us have our own way of life and for me, the "Whats next?" way worked in most cases. Our innermost fears, lust, bad elements and even silly doubts come to the surface during our practices. We may focus on something we hear or chant repeatedly to try avoiding it. In fact most of the slokas start with one or two initial verses, about what benefits one may get, or praying the Lord Ganapathi to help us from these distractions. Even the Sandhya vandhanam aims at focusing on the breath - inhaling and exhaling counts and using the beads. All these are to get our wavering minds to do one thing at a time. Its true that monotonous work at troubled times lead you to focus more.

There is also an element of personal space that I skimmed along.

I am afraid of writing something that you have already expressed nicely in other words, so, thanks again. :) -rgs

p.s. யாதனின் யாதனின் நீங்கியான் நோதல்
    அதனின் அதனின் இலன். - one of the very few that I remember and wonder every time it comes to mind.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congrats on being nominated , as always a thought provoking snippet, I did not know you can write so much on catching a fly, you have narrated well

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Viji madam for your appreciation. I hope many of us get in to this situation quite often. No? -rgs

iyerviji likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

When we don't know why such thoughts come in again and again, the only option we have is to disown them and focus on what we intend to do. I can give only one example of a Mithaiwala. He knows the moment he makes the sweets, the flies are going to come. He does everything to protect his sweets either by covering it up or using a hand fan while opening the container and keep his focus on sale of sweets.

Our human BMI is the sweet here and the flies would come no matter how much ever we try to avoid them. We have to watch, disown and defend ourselves from getting infected.

Viswa

rgsrinivasan likes this.
  9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your nice feedback Viswa.
    You know that its better said than done. Besides, knowing our darker side helps us to understand ourselves more.
    As I grew up, I came to understand that there are just a lot of things to delve about, not just on the one which keeps disturbing us.
    Slowly, as we get immersed in one chant / sloka / bhajan, this thought comes, but doesn't throttle us anymore.

There are a few of course that will never leave you winning always. Its like keeping anger in check. You can never say that you won it, in my honest opinion. It might take aeons for one to be like Appayya Dikshitar, who even in the inebriated state sang praises of Lord Siva. Right Sir? -rgs

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear RGS,

My attitude is a little different. I am a big believer that our subconscious mind is a big player in our refinement and hence habits make a person perfect. If we keep trying and trying, eventually we can win. I always think if I say to myself that "it is easier said than done", it means I will never get it done.

Yes. I agree your approach is practical but unfortunately, we have a devil in the form of the mind and the only way to overcome the ordeal is to keep developing the habit without thinking it is not easy.

Viswa

rgsrinivasan likes this.