1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Catch them young and teach them our culture and good habits

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Aug 10, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

It is the aspiration of all parents to bring up their child as an ideal child. Where do we start to achieve this dream of ours?

According to our Indian philosophy the process of educating human beings and moulding their character is a process right from the womb. When a woman carries a child in her womb she is given advice on dos and don’ts, not only regarding her diet, but also about her other activities. She is advised to read religious and other good books and not to read vicious books or to watch violent or sadistic movies.

From Mahabharatha we come to know that Abhimanyu learned to break the chakra vyuha when he was still in his mother’s womb while Arjuna was explaining it to his pregnant wife. Alas! But as Lord Krishna called him he could not complete the explanation how to come out of it and so Abhimanyu could not learn the secret of getting out of it.

When Prahalada was in his mother’s womb Narada was telling his mother the stories of Lord Vishnu’s devotees and Prahalada was born as a staunch devotee of Lord Vishnu.

Modern research also shows that emotions and feelings can be formed in the brain even before we are born.

Mother is the first teacher to a child. There was a time when grandmothers also were helping in bringing up children with their great story telling talent. When children were about six to eight months old, they used to keep the child on the lap and bring the hands together on top of the head and they used to teach, “Krishna Rama Govinda and

Ramakrishna Govinda,” the first spiritual lesson of the child after entering the world.In the present nuclear family system children are bereft of this advantage. In the good old days children got used to sharing things with siblings. But now the one child norm deprives the children this quality unless the parents teach them.

Children should be taught to give respect to elders from young age. They should be never encouraged to make fun of elders or domestic helpers.

When a child starts talking teach them small slokas and make them chant it before the Deity after bath.:bowdown
    Avoid spoon feeding when the child completes 3 years and teach them to eat food on their own. After one child norm has been adopted by couples, I have seen mothers feeding even a grown up child who studies in high school. It is not good to pamper too much or to over protect.

Personal hygiene also should be taught from the tender age. Children should be taught to brush the teeth twice a day, both in the morning and at night before going to bed. [​IMG]

Parents should never show discrimination between a girl and boy. Both of them should be taught to keep their things neat and tidy. We should take help in domestic cores from both of them whenever needed.

Discipline is crucial when bringing up a child. [​IMG]It should be consistent, but there should be reasonable boundary for the children to feel free. As a cow tied to a poll has the freedom to move around to certain space, children also need certain amount of freedom. Setting boundaries for children’s behavior helps them to learn how to behave in society.

Take the children into confidence and discuss with them financial issues and make them understand whenever necessary.

Do not push them to do anything which is beyond their capacity.

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello mam,
    That was a very thought-provoking write-up that I really loved..especially I second you mam when you emphasise that kids do need their bit of freedom and breathing space..very well-said point there.
    Am sure many parents who get to read this would amply benefit from this valuable blog!!
    Regards,
    Saras

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Saras,
    I am very much surprised to see your fb instantly after I posted it. Thank you very much for your prompt feed back.
    Many parents do not give the freedom to children and pressurize them to do what they want. Ultimately it does not bring the desired result.
    I have seen children turning violent due to pressure. They need the breathing space.
    Love,
    PS

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hello Ma,
    A very useful and more caring blog . cent percent i will agree with you.Whatever we are teaching to the children from the tender age it will have very good impact and bring good results for their future always. Now a days children
    needs more care and caution in each and everything not like olden days they are leading their life. Always from the womb itself the child is sensing the best and the worst in the life. I was thinking my mom when i was going through your blog.often she used to tell. KUZHANTHAGALAI MUDALIL VOZHUKKAMAGA VALARKKAVENDUGAM .

5. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Mam,

A very thought provoking blog which i enjoyed much. Children should be taught correctly from young age for better future generation.

Shanti

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sreemathi,
    Thank you for your expressing your views.
    Present day children are exposed to more good and bad things. Hence the parents should be more cautious. They need to handle children tactfully without hurting their feelings. When children ask questions parents should answer them patiently and clear their doubts.
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanti,
    Glad to know that you enjoyed reading my write up. Children are the future of the country. Hence it is the duty of the parents to groom them to be good citizens.
    Love,
    PS

8. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

loved reading your blog so much !!!!!!!!

Went back to my childhood when my grandma played a more important role in our life than my mother bcos it she who taught us how to pray and sing bhajans, celebrate onam, vishu, saraswathi pooja as she did, take us to temples, to watch good movies like bhakta prahlad, karnan, adiparasakthi, raghavendra etc., take us to vegetable markets and stores to buy things for home, to meet relatives and friends, to library, to welcome guests, to library and develop interest in reading all kinds of books, to cloth shops to buy sarees/blouses for my mom, take us around with our friends to park, lake etc.

[​IMG]

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

My mom took care of my kids the same way as my grandmother did...bcos I was working.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sunitha,
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation.
    You and your children were really lucky to have grandmothers who had a substantial role in grooming the children and teaching them not only our culture, but all other worldly matters.
    Love,
    PS