cat issue - needs help!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by MrsV, Aug 1, 2008.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

back in March, my neighbor's cat who is pretty much our cat (as we feed him, he sleeps over and he has his own bed at my house) brought
    home a stray cat who we started feeding as well.. a few weeks late, our cat started hating on the stray and I tried to give her away to a no kill shelter.. unfortunately, no would take her because they were at max capacity..

so now after marriage, DH and I have our own little apt. and as she is still outside and all she wants is be petted and fed.. and she eats like a horse and does not gain weight.. never seen her potty (so not sure how to get her litter trained).. so my question/dilemma.. she's too friendly to have been a feral or stray.. seems like someone just ditched her one day.. but given that she's been outside all this while, would she get aclimated to an apt?? and i am a neat freak, so the whole potty issue.. and i need pet insurance.. she would be my first pet.. she has hugeee claws and i have brand new furniture.. if all goes well at the vet, i am keeping her but i'm just really concerned about cohabitating with a cat.. just getting used to the husband..

update: so i brought him in yesterday.. and he's hiding under the sink.. i ONLYYYYYYY did it so that it won't get euthanized or run over.. please tell me i did the right thing.. he won't even look at me..

we were told it's a HE and he's about a year old.. he used the litter box yesterday and it was a tad bit smelly.. and our apt is tiny.. could it be the food??? he's neg. for everything and he had earmites.. and 'the vet is testing his poop for stuff too..

so now he came out of hiding to eat and then ran back under the sink.. well atleast now he's coming out.. :)

if DH and I are going away for the weekend and we have the automatic food dispenser and the self cleaning litter box, how long can we leave him alone for? I know I sound like a bad a mommy but just checking..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Mrs V, cat's make really nice pets, me and DH actually have two!

When we got our cats they destroyed our furniture with their claws. We tried to train them to use a scratch post but it never caught on. We wanted to get new stuff for our home so we ended up getting their front paws declawed so they couldn't scratch anymore. Some people say it's inhumane, but our cats are totally fine and didn't seem in any pain after the operation. Now they do it with lasers and most cats are back to normal after a few days, sometimes even same day.

If you leave enough food and water you could probably be gone a weekend. Anymore than two days and maybe you could ask a neighbor to pop by and check his food. About the litter box, you can get kitty litter that minimizes bad smell, or a litter box that has a cover and a filter at the top and that should help too.

Give him time and I'm sure he'll adjust to his new life with you, you did a very kind thing by giving him a home, good for you! :clap

3. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Dear MrsV,

You did a good thing giving a home to a stray kitty.

I am sure proper grooming, care and love will help in your case. Cats are real
    sweethearts. My mom had three strays, though she had tough time training
    them. But they will try to learn obediently and love sincerely since they are
    aware of the situation.

I am not sure about paws getting declawed, as asuitablegirl suggested, but
    trimming them regularly will surely help, atleast in our case it did.

Anyway give him sometime and I am sure you will not regret your decision.
    All the best!! keep posting about your kitty's progress....btw what have you named him?

also check this link for grooming tips.
    http://www.IndusLadies.com/forums/pets-and-animal-lovers/24967-grooming-cats.html

love,
    Anu

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Thank you girls..

He started coming out and playing with us.. and we feed him dry food twice a day and wet can once every 2 or 3 days.. and lots of water.. so he's ok i think.. he loveeeeeeess to stare out of the window.. he doesn't like to play though.. we got him a lot of toys but he doesn't play with any (even the ones with catnip) and our neighbor's cat lovessss toys!!!

a few people suggested that i put baking soda in with his litter so the odor will be neutralized.. so its ok now..

intially we thought he was a girl.. and we named him Gowri.. bonk so now sometimes we call him Appu.. Big Laugh

5. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Gowri name for a boy cat!!! :)
    So funny :) :) ;-) :-D