1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Carrying Jewellery from India to US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by hs2009, Jul 19, 2012.

1. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I need some guidance on carrying jewels from India. We will be shifting soon to States from India and this time the stay duration is long. I intent to bring all my jewels from India, how can I do that? Reading all the past threads I undertsand I can carry jewellery photos, bills ( I dont have for all as some are wedding gifts), so plan to get them valuated from jewellers and carry them for any check purporse. Is this sufficinet or something else is required? I am concerned as I also want to carry my silver poojs articles, carrying all this should not lead to any issues though everything is used. Leaving them behind is not an option I want to think of as I stay in different city than parents, so just visting them to leave jewels is not a doable option.

Thank you very much in advance as always for the guidance and suggestions.

2. chicagoadithic

chicagoadithic Senior IL'ite

well i can surely talk about this topic....

I got married in Nov'11 and and moved to USA in Jan. i carried a lot of jewellery along with me coz i was moving for a long time. no one happened to ask me much. if some one raises a voice, you must carry a print of custom rules and rub it in their eyes. You could do one thing, wear most of those. that what i did... it was little weird wearing those heavy necklaces and kadas at the airport but they saved a lot of hassles. no one asked me anything. at the Zurich security check i got those off and passed it through the security scanner. and wore them again!

All the best! have a safe flight!

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

No body cares, my dear, so chill. Just make sure you carry all the items in your personal baggage and not checked in. The main precautions you will have to take is against theft by other passengers or the airport workers not the country immigration rules. You can carry your jewelry bills if you like but dont produce them at the same time. Keep them in a separate place and produce only if asked to.

I have worn some of my jewelry under my sweater as well as carried some in a small pouch inside my handbag during my up-down trips. Even if they ask, which actually for me nobody did, just give the real reason. "This is my personal jewlry for my personal use, these are my personal silver articles for my daily pooja or daily use." That's it. Reason I am saying not to produce the bills of purchase right away is because there is an upper limit of bringing in $10K cash and some other $ limit for kind, With Gold and silver current prices, and if you are bringing everything, you may easily cross one of these limits. So best is play dumb about cost, say you dont know price, you are using from long time, these are your personal items with lots of sentiment value, you are moving here so you need your stuff.

Dont worry, you will be fine. Out of all the hassles of the move, this will be the least of your worries!

4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Actually I just remembered, the largest amount of jewelry I have ever carried is when I was coming back after my wedding. I put everything in a pouch in my handbag. The only ppl who noticed my precious cargo were 2 guys at the Delhi airport -- airport workers at security. They asked what is that, show it. I don't know how I was able to think so quickly but something struck me as off in their request and I refused. I just told them it is my personal jewelry that's it and refused to open the bag to take out the items and show them. The handbag had already gone through security scan and passed muster so these guys had no business to ask me to open and show. I just kept saying, pass ho gaya na, to kya problem hai.

If you decide to carry in a pouch, dont unnecessarily brandish or show all the items to any worker at any time. You never know who else is watching from the side and may follow and rob you afterwards while you are in the lounge etc. Just don't take it out or take it off. If you decide to wear the jewelry like the other poster suggested, then only take off when TSA worker asks you to and put back on immediately after you pass the scan. Those guys are least bothered in our jewelry.

5. Missha

Missha New IL'ite

Himaani: will you be making trips to India and US, bck and forth. To be safe bring them in installments, that's exactly wt I did :shhh: better be safe than sorry!!!

6. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for replying, sorry for delay in replying. I think will follow your advice and wear jewels specially the necklaces.:thumbsup

7. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sandhya, Thanks for replying and sorry for delay in replying. Yes I will be carrying the jewels in pouch as cant wear them all. So will be guarding my precious pouch carefully :)

8. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Hi, yes I will be but not sure of the frequency. Leaving jewels back in city where no family is staying is the major issue. Thats the reason for taking jewels with me.

9. anonymous2011

anonymous2011 Senior IL'ite

Hi Himaani

What I used to do is put all the jewelry in your handbag so it will be with you. I usually put jewelry in my handbag and silver and other valuable items in carry on luggage. Also on the I - 94 form make sure you mention the entire amount.

Hope that helps

Deepthi

10. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Deepthi, I was actually just like you have suggested. Will mention the amount on I 94 form.