Career Transition From It To Non It Fields In The Usa - Please Advise

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Change1, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Change1

Change1 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am seeking your advise on Career Transition in the USA. Have you or anybody you know has transitioned their career from IT to any other NON-IT fields?
    Have you made a career change? If so, what did you move into and how? What helped you make the change? Was your change worth it?
    • Did you move from IT to Non IT roles within corporate America?
    • Did you start your own business?
    • Did you get into a franchise?
    • Did you become a realtor?
    • Did you become a financial planner?
    • Did you sell insurance?
    • Did you take up a work from home job?
    • Did you start a home business?
    If you did any of the above or did something else then please advise and suggest and please share your experience on how you got there.

Thanks a ton in advance and I look forward to hear from you!! I appreciate your time.

skalluri likes this.

2. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I am in the same boat, worked in IT field for more than 15 years, now want to change the career path, I would like to hear from others.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Yes. Please share some ideas. Me too in the same boat.

I have heard people asking to do what we like but as far as i am concerned.. i am not getting any ideas... Please share your experiences if anyone has moved till date.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I am in dilemma too. Whether to move away from IT or not. But if I move wat are the options!

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

working for so many years in IT, balancing family and work with small kid and buying the house, settling financial burdens etc. Now I felt like I am feeling disconnected from people, we are working but working mechanically, saturated. I want to work in such a way It get connected with coworkers, work is not just work but part of your daily personal growth, money is not the matter..... am I imagining too much.. please advice.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

No you are not imagining. Even i have the same thought...

skalluri likes this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Oh.. this post is so me.
    I am same here. Working at so many places seems, people would think I will have so many friends but no,.. may be i do not feel connected in US work envrionment or people, So I just concentrate on my work and do not chit chat and because of insecurities and changes, I do not have circle. Moreover I am not socially active more like busy at home. People go to temples to socialize or other places ,their regional groups.. I just come here.
    In a way, I blame my job and US envrionment that makes us like that.
    Like a machine, work then cooking/clean/next day again work. Now with kids, kids home work or their chores added to tasks list.
    I researched a lot but I feel like I do not have any other skill and restarting anywhere means starting from ground level.
    At this level, we do not want to risk our earnings in startup business when we have kids responsibilities.
    We do not want to be a beginner job with beginner salary. So what to do ? I do not know myself.