career job related advice????what job should i take?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by PetiteFashionB, Jun 7, 2011.

1. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

Hi .all
    i need your advice.I have 2 job oppurtunites and i want to decide which one is good in long run.I am on H1b in US and like any consultant and woman have been through so much in my life.

Now here i have 1 FT position from small american company.
    Very small house owned kind company -ready to take my h1b .
    -Pros-
    -less work stress there, not much tension for vacation etc.
    -Can Work from home often
    -FT benefits.
    Cons-
    -IT really far from my place and i takes really like 2.30hrs for me to reach there on 1 way.
    Bcos of traffic and public transports....commute really breaks me
    -I technology,platform they work on is not of my interest.

Other offer
    Pros-
    -Drivable from my place
    -Stressful work
    -Technology is what i wanted to work in (but Java ppl - i know has lot of work and stressful like)
    -Contractual with Client but FT with vendor( can turn FT after so many yrs of work ..who knows after 1y)
    -I know working FT with vendor - has nice package but not like all vacation ,leaves etc.
    -client is really big and its long term contract types.

So i am still confused should i work with technology i want to work in a big company where everyone is too aware.
    Or in a small company where i might be able to lead people in future.

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

It depends on what you like to be: big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond.

Also, which can you handle better: the stress of commute or the stress at workplace? In your other post, i have seen that you have pain in the knee due to long hours of commute. Opt for a job closer to home so that the the problem doesnt aggravate.

If you are at the beginning of your career without much family responsibilities, then you can take the stress at workplace and compete with the existing team members. Also, you get to learn a lot on the technology you like.

1st job pros and cons: less stress; flexible work options; long commute; technology not the one you want
    2nd job pros and cons: Less commute; Better company; Technology is the one you want to work; Stressful work environment

Comparing both, i would suggest the second one as you get to learn more and the technology is the one you like. If things get too stressful in this company, based on what you learn in this company, it might be easier to try for another job or move to a different project.