Career Choices - Which One To Choose?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by SGBV, Nov 30, 2017.

1. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

In second job, you stay more days at home than the first one.

In second job, you save much higher and you can afford to take a break from your career and stay at home after few years.

I see no advantage in Job 1.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

Looking at it from a relationship or family life view, either is going suck.
    Both are going to be hard on the family and change the family dynamics for the time being. Also impact and influence children’s relationships with their parents.
    Adjusting back after that is also not going to be easy.
    So the question is what is the end game? Only doing either job for some few years? In that’s case job 2 sounds more attractive.Or is this going to be something more permenant
    If so, how will the family life continue long distance or other they follow you or the kids go to a boarding school and you maintain a quasi weekend relationship with your husband.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks again dears!

1) There is no safety issue.
    2) The organization is very reliable with clear HR policy. I am part of it since the past 12 yrs and I am quite familiar with that.
    3) I won't get tired of commutes if that is a luxurious air travel, that too with a decent vacation to home. However, I might feel tired after my weekend trips to home just to spend only 1 day.
    4) For future jobs, I may continue to apply via our online job portals and face the competitive selection process virtually as usual. (Online test and Skype interviews)
    5) I don't need to bring my family to Africa, but i can take them to some common place like Dubai and spend the vacation together.
    6) I have been in similar jobs and worked in various countries before my kids were born. So i know what to expect

sindmani and catwalk like this.
  4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Option 2 seems better . both jobs involve you sacrificing your stay with your family , as well make it worth it by saving money.

5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I personally think option 2 is a better fit. The perks of this position, financially and family/life balance, seems to outweigh option 1. I think that traveling weekly wears people out a whole lot faster than spacing it out. My father enjoys traveling for work, and still does it, but you can tell that spacing out the travel and being able to spend an extended time with family, is far more valuable than trying to touch base weekly. You can actually spend quality time with your family with that type of break. Since you are accustomed to travel, I don't foresee returning to family in case of an emergency, to be too difficult. And, the fact that your expenses are mostly paid for, that is a real big advantage.

sindmani and catwalk like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You are so blessed to have both a mother and MIL willing to happily contribute.

catwalk likes this.
  7. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

You are absolutely right. All the best.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

9. priyanka12345

priyanka12345 Silver IL'ite

Its very clear from your posts that you want to go for Option 2. It sounds great as well..
    For option 1 travelling on sat night and coming back Sunday evening will be tiring for sure. it can never be quality time. With Skype and video calls you would be fine to see your kids every day and spend quality time later every 2.5 months.

Also if you be in option 1 which you wholeheartedly dont like then you will always see cons in the work you are doing , getting irritated on the compromises in terms of nanny , family life. etc . In option 2 , I think thats what you want , it will satisfy your passion for work and also give money and quality time every 2 mnths approx..
    so listen to your heart and go for it. Anytime you feel you can have a low paying job elsewhere easily.
    if you have to live apart from your kids in both the options then atleast have your passion and monetary benefits met.

Sweetgirl123 likes this.
  10. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

@SGBV
    Which one did you end up in choosing.