Career Advice

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Aug 26, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

I am tagging @viki123 @Sandhya13 as we have discussed a few times.

So I am into job hunting again and looking for FT position. Since I could not find job near by, I started looking little further thinking WFH few days or move bit closer. I did not apply or was not interested in contracting or contract to hire openings unless they are near to my place. Now, I applied to a FT job in a company which is a startup company, part of univ., far from my place.

Initially, I was skeptical. Distance, Start up company, No sustainability of their own, still funded and above all Technologies used are completely different.
    So I have specialized skill (which they needed badly and it is not common to find resources in that) and front end skills they needed (I am not an expert there). Based on that, they said yes.

Interview went well and they suggesting contract to hire position.They liked me very much but there is skill set gap so tryout period.

(Even though they are hiring me for that other specialized skill and I would not have to do deal with front end work for a year or so. Hunh...)

I did not want to drive that far to work on technologies I never liked.
    I did not want to work on that uncommon skill at all (it is not sell able skillset) and not interested in front end work too.
    My base skill set was Back end development which faded in recent job and wanted to go back to that, as an ideal job.
    But I applied thinking, I thought I have to try everywhere.
    So benefits are great. Its non profit start up so life may not be that hard as with other companies. And I was tired of corporate world. Non- profit idea was good.
    On site -->
    I was welcomed by a g_y person and interviewed by college kids with long hair and so many pins on their face and punches on their ears and nose. Okay diversity is respected. Complete diff environment.
    Concerns-->
    1. my skill set will completely change and i will have to struggle hard If I ever have to come out.
    2. distance.
    3. I may not get good compensation to cope up everyday commute or move near city area.

I do not have any other offers and was relying on this one. But I was completely disappointed at their offer. If I had wanted to do CTH/contract, I would have searched hard locally.
    Now my friends, I need your kind words here. I know
    1. I do not have anything.
    2. C2H may not be that bad.
    3. I am actually tired of working or work searching or job hopping. Tired to getting interviewed by all those desi people in the backend jobs who do not even care to introduce about company or team or project and start asking questions at the minute phone is received.
    Want to settle down.

Now Options I have->
    I wait, and keep job searching now, prepare/study hard and again find another offer ( even contract/c2h) near my place, but my skills related. Thing is any kind job offer takes 3-4 weeks and this job will not wait till then. I am exhausted and sick of taking calls, introducing myself and start reading front end or back end or xyz based on job, sick of recruiters creating candidate pool by asking to go through tests etc w/o any real jobs or sick of applying getting interviewed without any rejection email. Every telephonic interview gives me enough stress like going on mini wars. Feel bad that after so much of experience I get rude behaviour from egotist desi interviewers many time.

Also I do not want to be in a new job and again job searching.
    4. Now biggest reason of disappointment. They have good maternity benefits but kick in after 1 yr or so. Also I am almost end of my biological cycle nearing 40s. Thought once I join, after few months 3-4 , I will try and it will be 1 yr soon.
    With this current job loss, and new job issues, it is all at halt :-(((((. Now 3 months minimum contract time, then benefits start so I have to wait at least 1 yr.

Please please suggest and calm me. I know everyone will say ' just join' as I do not have anything else but I need more words.
    Thanks for the patience.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3
    The only advice i have here is if you are comfortable and fell that this job is good for you go ahead.

Regarding the your job i am not sure what that position is, why your were interviewed by students. My works at univ is completely professional and similar to IT but bit laid back and they don't used latest technology as other co-operate companiess.

Benefits for most of the full-time jobs starts after one year. I work in HR module and this is common for most companies.

I feel there is nothing like sell able skill set, it may not be used very often used but that might be helpful to know. I have worked a lot of old technologies but never face any issues with that.

I know contracting is very tough and with current market it is more difficult. So think better and take a decision that best for you.
    All the best.

3. sanjuruby3

@viki123
    I know i need to make decision and might end up going there as I do not have anything in hand but just venting out myself. Bigger part of me is thinking to take a risk and pass on this oppurtunity. But truth is I am too tired now to find or interview anywhere or even study for interviews.. no motivation left.

4. sanjuruby3

Most people working there looked very young like fresh grads. Moreover from dress/hair styles we can get that. Then one of guys who interviewed me was so young and I was wondering even its non profit, pins/ear holes/nose holes on face ( that look) is usually not acceptable at work. Sorry not a racist here but it was different experience for me.

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Even this seems odd to me. I have worked very close to grad students and i see Grad students working in various department but haven't seen this.
    May be they are trying to start a new work culture. Something new to look forward from next generation. Just Kidding.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

I can understand how frustrating it could. Even now after so many years for working, i hate interviews. If the interviewer is a Desi then, its worst. I have seen very few desi's with good interviewing skills.

Coming to job i would say follow ur heart. When i moved jobs 3 years ago i had 3 opportunities, on far from office and same work as i was used too and good pay. Other was kind of lead with travel. Current job was 50% of my profile and new technologies & user interaction. But this was laid back and less pay than market.
    I chose 3rd one as i did not want rat race while i am planning for kids. My friends and DH was advice against it as it would effect my experience etc etc. But after 3 years my Pay is equal to them, balance life. With new technologies i even expanded my scope now.

7. sanjuruby3

Thanks for your kind words @viki123.
    I am in similar dilemma. I do not have any other job option right now as it takes months from resume sent to final offer on table.
    This job has some pro/cons but its only offer and I do not have much to evaluate. Also I am tired of job search now and my brain is drained out to learn anything w/o seeing light. Can not wait for unlimited period.
    So I may take this job.
    Commute is going to be just unbearable. It might be 2 hrs each way. So I am trying to negotiate some remote days.
    Technologies - I never liked those technologies and it is half of what I worked.
    Type - it is contract + probation till it gets full time :-(((
    Since it is univ job, I am just hoping environment might be relaxed a bit. I have recently worked in such a killing environment that I knew I knew If I stay for couple more years, I am going to have major health issue. And I was ignoring my LO. Starting with calls early morning and fighting my DH with LO responsibilties. My LO did not deserve that. Hoping to find better than that.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

2 hour commute each way? How are you going to manage with your child? Does your DH have flexible hours or work from home? Such a long commute would give me pause unless the offer was otherwise spectacular. Unless you can negotiate a good amount of telework I would think seriously about this.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

OP- 2 hours commute each way would be a deal breaker for me but you can move to the city of employment, work 10 hrs a day and take 3 days off (and if possible one work from home day).
    Now, coming to the underline sections of your post: Please be open-minded. Someone's sexual orientation is none of your business. If you were interviewed for a service position or a faculty eq or any position that will cater to the demands of the students, yes, you will be interviewed by the students. We are hiring a department head and the undergrad and grad students are part of the interview process. Pierced nose and eyebrow/ lips doesn't mean that they aren't serious. They might be the smartest kids and that's why they were interviewing you. It is not uncommon for the graduate students to have tatoos/piercing , even some new faculty flaunt their style. The environment in corporate and even in medical schools is different from the universities...people are much casual, professors in shorts is a common sight.

They might have talked about salary and benefits during interview. Use that as a guide. Usually compensation is quite good. I am not an IT person but in Science, an entry level professor makes $80-110k + ~35% in fringe benefits.

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

How did u figure out ur interviewers sexual orientation ?H
    Anyway ...a word of caution dont ever make statements about age /sexual orientation/color at work. Its taken very seriously.
    And if u are in IT/high tech u should also get used to kids interviewing u.