1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Carbon Steel Vs Cast Iron

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Jas82688, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

hello dear ladies ,

Am trying to get rid of non stick stuff from my home as I feel guilty everyday cooking in them .. The only reason I have used them is for ease of use and less maintenance needed ..I change them every 1 year..

So while searching I came across this carbon steel wok .. surprisingly it’s almost same like cast iron with some % carbon in it .. so can you tell me if carbon steel is good healthy for Indian cooking especially South Indian kind of food ..

Am planning to buy one lodge iron pan for making dosa and chapathi one carbon steel wok for curries ..
    this is the brand I found in amazon with good reviews ..
    oCraft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok..

So anyone using this kind of carbon steel woks or had experience with it making curries like bendi, tindora , potato fries without sticking or not using tons of oil ..? And we make dals too ..I heard we should not use tomotoes n lemons basically citrus stuff in cast iron .. my main purpose is for fries n gravy curries ..
    I have gas range..

Please suggest me any other good product ie suitable for making curries for 5 people in a home ..

Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I recently bought cast iron kadai for making potato fry and other Indian cooking. I use cast iron skillet of various size for making omelets, ottapam, potato fry, pizza.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

*Cast iron for stir fry, oily fry. Works best for potato, plantain, colacacia, ivy gourd, okra.
    *Carbon steel may emit smell, which may not suit out taste suits Asian cusine more.
    * You can use heavy stainless steel pans from calphalon , Ikea, Cuisinart etc 18/3 steel. Heavy bottom , triple layer etc.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Carbon steel DOES NOT "emit smell". I have one carbon steel pan currently but have used a lot of them over the years. Are you talking about "wok hai"? That takes EXTREMELY high temps that you are unlikely to reach on any conventional cooktop. And cast iron will do it at temps that high too. It is the smell of the OIL, not the pan.

I hate cast iron. I cooked with only cast iron 50 years ago, hated it then and still hate it today. NOTHING will induce me to buy or cook with cast iron.

I cook daily with nonstick cookware and have ever since Teflon first came out in cookware, when it was white and peeled off in sheets if you looked at it funny. I have perfectly good nonstick that is over 10 years old. No idea why someone is replacing it every year, unless the OP is in India and not able to get good nonstick? I had some T-fal that is fine but it won't work on my induction hob. I got a Cuisinart fry pan for induction and it warped. Now I have a Calphalon fry pan for induction that I got at Target, it doesn't warp, cooks a lot faster than any other piece of induction cookware I have. It's their "budget" line, they only make an 8" and a 10" fry pan and you can only get the 8" in a set with the 10", or the 10" by itself. I am guilt free. Don't know why it should be any other way.

You shouldn't use high acid foods in seasoned pans (either cast iron or carbon steel) because it eats away the seasoning. Honestly, just stick with a good nonstick pan with a heavy base.

Thyagarajan likes this.