1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian Smocking Tutorial With Graphs

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by artvani, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Please find the FB thread at

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/embroidery-works/111970-method-of-doing-canadian-smocking.html

And post all your FBs & Queries in the FB thread only.
    Thank you.

In Canadian smocking folds are created by pulled stitches alternated by slack stitches at equal intervals using a grid of dots as guide line. Usually it is worked on the reverse of the fabric except for ” The flower “design. When fabric is gathered from the back side beautiful pattern is formed in the front .This type of smocking is not as elastic as English smocking. Beautiful cushions and bags can be prepared with this type of smocking. Canadian smoking is also called North American smocking and Lattice smocking. This type of smocking is very quick and easy to do . The neatness of the work depends upon the grid of dots that is marked on the fabric. I prefer to draw square graph of required dimension. It is easy to draw squares of required width by using ruler of the same width. That is if you want to draw squares of 2” use a scale of 2” wide.

Preparation of the fabric

Step 1

Iron and remove wrinkles if there are any.
    A margin of required width is left by drawing margin lines on all the four sides of the fabric using a tailor's chalk.Now we have to mark squares of required width.

Step 2

Use a scale of required width and draw parallel lines to the margin of one side.

Step 3

In the same manner draw perpendicular lines
    Thus the fabric is divided in to squares of required width.I prefer to produce the lines beyond the margin lines as it helps while finishing the work.
    Now the fabric is ready to smock.

In Canadian smocking folds can be created in three ways
    1. By joining two points
    2. By joining three points and
    3. by joining 4 points.
    Further variations can be made under each method by changing size of the square, by leaving gaps between rows or columns and by drawing rectangle grid instead of square grid. Using flower type stitch in-between.

Will be continued...................

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    mimian, Rita54, hemalathaK and 2 others like this.

2. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

I will not keep you waiting.

In the meantime learn "HOw to calculate the material needed for Canadian Smocking"

Method of calculating the material needed for Canadian smocking for cushion with design
    “Arrow head “
    Material need for Canadian smocking depends upon the flowing things
    1. Size of the finished material we need.
    2. Design we select.
    3. Size of the square in the graph we use for smocking.
    For each design I have arrived at a general formula using mathematics .By just substituting the numbers in the formula we can calculate width of the material by calculating how many squares we need in a row. We can calculate the length of the material needed by calculating how many squares we need in a column.
    Diagonal of the square plays a great role in this. I will give you approximate values diagonals of the squares we normally use.
    Diagonal of a square of 2 cm =2 .8 cm
    Diagonal will be for square of 2 .5 cm 3.5 cm
    Diagonal will be for square of 3 cm = 4.2 cm
    Diagonal will be for square of 4 cm= 5.7
    Cushion size 40 cm X 40 cm
    Arrow head design

Size of the square used in the graph= 3 cm

General formula to calculate width of the material
    No of squares needed in row = (width of the finished smocked material needed x 4) ÷ diagonal of the square

General formula to calculate length of the material
    No of squares in a column = (length of the finished smocked material needed X 2) ÷ Diagonal of the square

Method of calculating the width of the material
    No of squares needed in a row = (40 cm X 4) ÷ 4.2 = 38 squares

Material needed for 38 squares =38 X 3 cm = 114 cm

Width of the material needed =114 cm + acme for seams =116 cm

Method of calculating the length of the material
    No of squares in a column = (length of the finished smocked material needed X 2) ÷ Diagonal of the square
    No of squares in a column = (40 cm X 2) ÷ 4.2 = 19 squares
    Material needed for 19 squares =19 X 3 cm =57 cm + 2 cm for seams =59 cms.
    In this way you can calculated the material needed for any size of cushion done using any size of square.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
    2 people like this.
  3. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Materials needed for Canadian smocking and method of creating shell pattern

Materials used should be thick and crease resistant. According to me thick satin is the best. This type of smocking is done on velvet and Corduroy materials also. It is mostly used for cushions. It can also be used for making hand bags.
    There are many designs in Canadian smocking. The designs that I have come across are Shell, Leaves, Matrix,Braid .Waves, arrow head, Bones and Flower except the flower design all are worked on the wrong side of the fabric. From flower pattern we can create many more beautiful patterns

Canadian smocking by joining two points

Shell pattern
    Draw squares of required width on the reverse of the fabric.Mark the diagonal lines as shown in the graph of the shell pattern.
    In shell pattern two dots are connected with pulled stitches at regular interval which are knotted and separated by a slack knotted stitch.
    Mark squares of 2 .5 cm x 2.5 cm on the wrong side of the fabric. Mark the red diagonal lines that represent pulled stitch. Mark the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, while learning, as it will be easier to follow the diagram.
    Stitch with 3 strands of Anchor thread of the colour that matches the fabric. Folds look good if satin material is used. Follow the steps from 1 to 8 and stitch all the rows. 2 columns of the squares are used at a time.
    Please excuse me for the patchy images.I have erased my blog's name from there. continued...........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    3 people like this.
  4. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Shell pattern continued.....

Here are the remaining steps.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  5. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Canadian smocking Design "Arrow head "

Here are the images for the procedure for the design "Arrow head" I think the images are self explanatory.If you have any doubt feel free to ask.Other steps are in Post reply

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Re: Canadian smocking Design "Arrow head "

Continued........
    Here are the other steps

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  7. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Canadian smocked cushion with Hexagons

I had done this long back while learning,I had made mistake while assessing the the amount of fabric needed. needed.I added patches all around and stitched a cushion.

Attached Files:

LindaP and DhanaJana like this.
  8. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Flower design in Canadian smocking

In Flower design folds are created by joining 4 points of a square. From this stitch we can create as many designs as we want. It has got many names. One of them is" Bee cottage."
    Flower design is worked on the right side of the fabric. We cannot draw squares on the right side of the fabric as it shows. Only dots should be marked. Both the sides of this design are used to create designs.

Mark rows of dots 2 cm or 3 cm or 4 cm apart on right side of the fabric according to the design and according to your taste. I find it difficult to mark dots in the front. So as usual I secure the fabric to my working table with 3M tape and draw squares back side of the fabric. Then I transfer the corner points of the squares to the right side with the help of a light coloured carbon paper.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  9. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Re: Flower design in Canadian smocking

still more steps.......

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  10. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Re: Flower design in Canadian smocking

Please ignore the knots in the design.I had taken these images for another design which I have used it here.

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.