Can you attend / organise friends babyshower when pregnant ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rekha2010, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Rekha2010

Rekha2010 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am 10 weeks pregnant, before getting pregnant,i was planning for my friend's babyshower,but recently i came to know that i am pregnant which i don't want to reveal so soon to everyone. In India people say a pregnant lady is not supposed to do participate in any seemandham function.i am really confused. people are expecting me to organise the seemundam for my best friend.any advice on this is really appreciated.

Thanks.

2. satyasrinivas80

satyasrinivas80 Silver IL'ite

My situation was different from yours. My friend's family friends organized a surprise baby shower for her, and I was part of it. I was 8 weeks pregnant then and cooked some items for the party but didn't tell anybody about my pregnancy. Actually, it was easy for me because I didn't know 98% of the guests but I didn't reveal my pregnancy to the remaining 2% also. I participated in one but didn't organize.

3. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I did participate in a friends baby shower while I was pregnant and went on to deliver a beautiful baby boy and it was a normal delivery...is there a reason for a pregnant lady to not participate? Except 2 of the couples, the rest did not know about my pregnancy then...

4. angel12

angel12 Gold IL'ite

Hi dear

Even i have attended my relatives godh bharai function wen i ws 7minths pregnant.. and no problems at all... So if u n ur friend dont believe in it... U can plan n attend

5. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Nice Thread.. even i had the same doubt.. but generally in south India.. few people belive that the pregnant women should not attend baby shower... I dont how far people follow this in south India...

6. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

I attended one too, you can attend but we cannot keep nalangu for them is what I was told, something like our luck goes to them types. Generally they don't allow twe pregnant ladies to meet up like this cos we might tend to compare the bumps and stuff related to aby which might cause some kind of jealousy/worries between them.

7. HasiniS

HasiniS Gold IL'ite

Hi

It might have been followed in earlier days as the they has many rituals to be followed and much of physical work goes in to those rituals. May be to avoid the other lady who is pregnant from doing any physical activity, travel from and to the function they might have followed ( Just my thought )

I would say if you and your friend don't believe in this then you can go for it and have fun .. Later this might be a lovely memory to sit and talk when you both have babies :)

Happy and safe pregnancy :))

8. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

My 2 cents

In tamilnadu side u r not supposed to organise & keep haldi & kumkum & aarthi u r not suppose to take at all. Jus attend & eat is fine. Ask ur side elders .