1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Can We Use Cast Iron Pans For General Cooking? Any Alternatives For Non Stick Pans?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gknew, Oct 8, 2017.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, its very heavy to handle..
    I will definitely try light weight wok...and also ceramic pots..i haven't used them before..any good brands in that ?

2. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks Laks09..
    I would check the kirkland stainless steel pots..hope it should be available in Costco.. Where can i find the Kerala mud pots?

3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply..
    Do we need not cook tamarind/tomato in cast iron or in enameled ones? Then i should go for stainless steel for that purpose...
    And do we need to season the enamel based dutch oven?

4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Where did u get the light weight iron tawa? And iron kadai?
    Yea, we need to use separate tawas for dosa and chapati...i have a heavy tawa which i use for dosas...i will get a light weight one for chapati..

Sunburst likes this.
  5. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I got it in an Indian store here . It's easily available in India .

gknew likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Cast iron pans are great. They just have to be seasoned and cared for properly. Enameled cast iron is also very good, .I like Le Creuset but there are plenty of other brands now. I have some ceramic-coated Zwilling skillets I got from Costco. I also use a Mauviel carbon steel skillet for high heat stir-frying.

gknew likes this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your reply..
    I will chk that steel skillet.. Does ceramic coated works well or the coating goes off soon??
    And do we need to season the enamel cast irons too?

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The ceramic pans are holding up well after a year of daily use. They are not suited for very high temperatures and I only use medium heat and silicon spatulas on them. The enameled cast iron does not need any seasoning. I only hand-wash these items.

gknew likes this.
  9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Good to know that enamel based doesn't need seasoning..less work for maintenance then..
    Can we cook tamarind/tomato in that?
    One more QN..where did u get the ceramic pans? Sorry for more qns...

10. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Hi all, Most of the kitchens had bid good bye to the once famous non stick wares.Still some use it as they are keen on the shape & thinness of Dosas. Even for garnishing we use iron small iron pans. In India ,it is quite easy to get the pans/ Dawas ( Dosaikkkal) . Even there two type are there,one Thalavada kal (made of iron used for railway railings), the other pure iron. The later is costly but very useful if u know howto use it. Immediately on purchase u can't use it. it should be cured, soak it in the water used for cleaning rice or smear oil on the surface ,keep it for sometime like that.While using it should be heated first & then pour barter & prepare dosa. Pans also should be heated first. Some pans & Dawas will be very heavy. So once heated first the heat in it will be sufficient to prepare anything. Flame can be adjusted after that as per our multi/single avatharams - doing one thing or multiple tasks) . a little patience is required while handling old type accessories.But very healthy,u natural iron, no fear of the various chemical coatings going into stomach.
    Reg. models at USA no idea.In our villages we used to get it from Kalappai(kind of instrument used in ploughing the soil) companies. quite durable.
    " The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep "

gknew and Nonya like this.