1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can we bring Pulses,rice and Cooking oil from India,while relocating?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by yogitalalwani, Apr 11, 2009.

1. yogitalalwani

yogitalalwani New IL'ite

Dear All:

I'm going to relocate to San Antonio Tx soon along with my husband on H1B and a son of 6.5 yrs.We have booked British Airways due to direct check in of baggages to SA from New Delhi.

I was going through BA baggage policy and US custom rules.
    The customs allows spices and codiments but discourages rice.While as per BA web-site they do not allow cooking oil.
    Pulses are actually seeds of plant and questionable as per customs web-site.

Can we bring pulses,rice and cooking oil from India?

In addition,I'd also appreciate any tips about my kid's schooling and other important issues for a new comer like me.

I'm also keen to know prices of routine grocery items at Indian stores in US!

Thanks in advance :wave

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry about bringing dal, rice, and cooking oils...you can get all that here at Indian stores or American stores. Save your weight allowance on the plane for other items. I would though say that if you have some specialty spice mix you bring some of that which shouldn't take too much room. I know one spice I never see where I go is pipal pepper if that gives you some idea.

I am sure your husbands human resources dept will give some pointers on getting your child enrolled in school. Be sure to bring all vaccination records with you and have the shots up to date. That will save you money and you will need those records for school enrollment.

Enjoy your time here in USA!

3. Swathi sara

Swathi sara Silver IL'ite

u can bring all rice,dhal,oil....but only rice is bit costly others u can get from here itself...as tashi said if u have particular masala get tat....i guest u to get ur mixer grinder, pressure cooker...i dnt like the one its avaliable here....

4. yogitalalwani

yogitalalwani New IL'ite

Thanks Tashi and Swathi for your kind advice.

5. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i have once brought some oil from india without any problem.i was travelling by lufthansa. my friends have also brought rice and dhal. bring all your essential vessels like dosa pan, kadai, important vessels, spatulas, cooker, spare gas cut and safety valve, mixer grinder with spare bush, wet grinder. chappathi roller, give importance to your kitchen items which is very pricy here. one of my friend brought her mother tongue book of the next yr for her 8 yr old kid, inorder to keep the kid in touch with the language.

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Yogita,

As Tina (tashi) already suggested, there is no need to bring the rice, pulses and cooking oil.

But, for sure, you can bring the Sambar powder, Rasam powder and any other rice mixes that you can use during the initial days of your settling down (when you won't be able to cook anything elaborate).

If you like home-made curd, try to bring some curd in a very small tupperware container and place it neatly packed in your check-in luggage. This way, you can start making curds as soon as you land here.:)

Once again, another good point from Tina, if you have school going children, please bring the updated immunization records (with the doctor's/hospital name,address and information on the header). This is very very important. Make sure their BCG is completed (cause some children get it done late)

Good luck on your move and have a smooth transition to USA!

Cheers
    Krithika

7. yogitalalwani

yogitalalwani New IL'ite

Krithika and shree
    Thanks!