1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Can our parents visit USA often (every 6 months with proper gap) thru Visitor Visa ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Madur1025, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Madur1025

Madur1025 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am planning to bring my mom to USA. I am pregnant now (10 weeks) . She would like to stay with me now as well after delivery as she doesn't have any commitment in India. I am also willing to stay with my mom now..

I am not sure about this, Can they come often and stay for 6 months with every 2 months Gap ? Will this create any issues in Immigration when they come 2nd , 3rd time ?

Please share your ideas.! Thank you !

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Re: Can our parents visit USA often (every 6 months with proper gap) thru Visitor Vis

This plan will eventually cause difficulties for them. A visitor visa is not meant for long-term stay in the US. Ideally there will be at least a 6-month or year's gap between visits.
    They may be able to visit once or twice with a short gap, but eventually the customs officers will ask them why they want to spend so much time here. The I-94 will be given for shorter durations.

1 person likes this.
  3. Madur1025

Madur1025 Senior IL'ite

Re: Can our parents visit USA often (every 6 months with proper gap) thru Visitor Vis

Thank you for letting me know this. I will plan my mom's visit accordingly. Else she cannot come when I really need her during delivery.

Thanks
    Kavi

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I have friends whose parents did that..and stayed here more often than they did in India. Last trip out of US back to India, the parents were told by immi guys to make sure they spent some more time in India next time. They used to be lenient earlier, but these days they are very strict.

So plan your mother's trip accordingly so that she is with you when you will most need her around. Another thing to remember is that it is preferable that she never mentions that she is here because you are pregnant. For some reason they don't take too kindly to that.

1 person likes this.
  5. Madur1025

Madur1025 Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot DKI for your suggestions. As you said, I need my mom with me during delivery time. So Will plan accordingly. I am missing her more now also.. As my husband working here from 9 to 7, I am mostly alone here. I am also working from home, But I need my mom's support. So only i checked with you all.

Thank you once again!!!

Why to take risk.. I will book her ticket 1 or 2 months before delivery.

Thanks
    Kavi

1 person likes this.