Can I cut my hair during pregnancy ?? help my hair please !!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by savannas, Feb 12, 2011.

1. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,
    I am in 2nd trim, and my hair is falling very badly. I have 2 questions..
    1. Firstly I only heard of hairfall after delivery - so I am very very worried why its happening before during pregnancy itself :drowning , does it mean anything medically ?? :spin
    2. I used to trim split ends every 2 months or so, now I am dreading to do it because I heard someone say you should not cut hair during pregnancy ? Is it true, is it really unsafe ?

I am willing to do anything to keep baby safe.. but my already thin hair, falling and falling is too painful.. what to do ? :bowdown

2. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

each persons body reacts differently during pregnancy.. there is no given rule that you dont lose hair during pregnancy & then you will lose lots after delivery.. So take it easy.. take care of your diet & continue your hair care.

what scientific reason can you think about it being unsafe to cut hair during pregnancy? its not unless you are getting a tonsure and there is a risk of cuts happening which is always risky irrespective of being pregnant or not..
    A trim really doesnt involve any close shaves, so go ahead and enjoy your regular hair cut session.. dont let pregnancy be a lifestyle blocking situation.. its a very natural process and you just take additional care.. thats it..

3. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Hi, I have never heard that you should not cut your hair during pregnancy. What is the relation? Hair is an external thing. By cutting it, you are only keeping it healthy.
    The only thing I have heard is, not to color your hair. Because while coloring or doing hair treatments, it affects your roots and should not affect baby.
    Also, hair fall indicates some deficiency. Tell your OB/GYN and ask her to do regular blood work and check iron levels and all that.
    All the best!

4. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

Even I had severe hair fall during pregnancy, in fact it was more than post delivery hair fall.
    IT was perfectly normal, I had a very health baby.

Second regarding hair cut, pls do not believe in all those stupid superstitions.
    Some one told that my husband should not shave while I was pregnant, if he does baby's hair wont grow. Oh nuts I dunno if people can come up with any thing more stupider than this.
    My hubby shaves daily , our baby girl has hair which need to pinned @ age of 4 months.

Go ahead have a haircut, feel good about yourself that will help ur baby.

5. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shilpa, Lotus and successminded,
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I never knew that some women do have hairfall during pregnancy.. most of my new moms keep raving about the spurt in hairgrowth that they saw during pregnancy.. thats why I was worried if it was not normal.. I will also check my iron levels..
    Oh, and the cutting hair during pregnancy.. even some of my american friends suggested to wait after delivery to have hair cut.. thats why I really wanted to know if there is some reason.. Anyways, I am relieved to know its all just grandmother tales..
    Thanks a lot friends,

Savi

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hair cut - ditto as everyone said above.

hair fall - normal due to hormanal changes and check your haemoglobin levels.

all the best.:thumbsup

7. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi sathchitananda,
    Thanks for your suggestion - will remember to ask for heamoglobin check during next checkup :)
    Btw, your name is nice ! :)

Savi