Can i carry gold bar and my gold jewelleries to india from dubai?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by danyashree, May 5, 2013.

1. danyashree

danyashree Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I am moving to india shortly and i would like to know if i could carry gold bar (10 grams - 24k bought in dubai) and my gold jewelleries (thali chain, bangles, rings and earrings) which i wore while coming to dubai from india ?

Should i pay any amount at india customs for carrying the dubai bought gold bar and my ornaments??

Plz tell your suggestions.. I am really confused.. my sister is getting married.. so i have to take the ornaments and gold bar with me..

2. danyashree

danyashree Senior IL'ite

13 views.. but no reply :O

3. Sowmya2809

Sowmya2809 Bronze IL'ite

hey..
    i guess there is some limit on carrying gold as bar...
    u shud check that out...
    and jewellery try to wear minimum...better if u ask or read their rules...

1 person likes this.
  4. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

You are allowed to carry gold jewellery worth Rs.1,00,000(female passenger) n for male passengers its Rs.50,000. For gold bars you will have to pay duty. check before travelling.

5. saps105

saps105 Gold IL'ite

ornaments that you are wearing(coz u r using them) is ok I think. pls do check. Instead of coins if possible carry ornaments.(that way u can avoid duty). I think coins are in shortage aftr gold prices have cum down.

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Just google search and you get the answer.I read about this in one of the sites.Sorry not able to retrace from where.

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

They do not stop you unless wear a lot of jewelry and it is exposed - please wear a jacket to cover the jewelry on the neck & hands.

1 or 2 bars isn't a problem but if you state that you are carrying gold in the immigration form then they will stop you.

Also they scan the hand baggage that you carry - hence wear the jewelry & don't keep in the hand baggage. The bars keep it in the jacket pocket.

It is extreme rarity that someone would be stopped & checked.

8. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Danya,

You are allowed the old jewellery you are wearing. Its better to wear the jewelleries instead of carrying them. But, even if that is high they may stop you. I carried my necklace got from India in my hand baggage and while screening it they asked me to show it to the customs officer. I told them that it is my old jewellery and they left me.

My BIL who came from Singapore was wearing a gold chain around 100 grams and was stopped at the airport. They asked him to pay duty for it. He refused and took a long time to convince the officials.

9. anuradhar

anuradhar New IL'ite

hai,
    this is not the right time to carry jewels.until last year,u can carry ur jewels (ofcourse ur usual wear) without paying. but now 2 of my friends who went india last month told that u have to pay for everything u carry (for every 8 grams an amount).

10. danyashree

danyashree Senior IL'ite

thanku frnds for all your suggestions.. personally i feel that this is too much from indian customs.. do they think we get gold here for free?thats our hard earned money.. if they want to stop illegal exports of gold..then they can do something else for that.. why are they squeezing poor NRI's for 10 gram 20 gram gold????
    Does that mean we can wear a christian dior dress with a pair of dior glasses, a gucci hand bag.. a chanel shoe, a costly watch, mobile and walk away just like that.. but for holding a gold bar / gold worth 25k or less.. we should pay tax???? its really annoying.. :(

1 person likes this.