1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can breastmilk ever be bad?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Natcdm, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Natcdm

Natcdm New IL'ite

Hi
    I am a mom of 3 month old . During the 6 week postpartum checkup doctor found a lump in my breast and suggested biopsy. Results came back fine. But the biopsy site leaked for a week(doc named its called milk fistula). Doc asked me to wean . I searched internet and somehow reduced the nursing on that side for a while and luckily leaking stopped. Now my lil one is not sucking on that breast. Not sure why. hubby told me it could be bcos i have my bandaid and gauze there. I also find he spits lil more on that side milk. Do i have to chk with doc? Can i nurse? Can that be a bad milk ...in the sense like infected milk. During biopsy they cut one or two milk ducts i guess...i dont know. Desperately need help. Pls advice.

also i have over supply on that side...am just pumping and throwing milk .giving milk on the other side only.

2. JustLikeYou

JustLikeYou Gold IL'ite

If the breastmilk on one side is good and then it must be on the other side as well..as far as they have not asked you to stop nursing please don't throw your milk. Consult your obgyn about it.

Your lil one may have some dislikes if there are bandages there which cause some smell or simply prefer one side over the other.(my daughter had a preference of side as well)

3. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

If you intend to continue bf, you can keep offering both sides. Milk gets distributed to the working ducts. So don't worry. Your baby is young and so don't worry about preferences yet, as it can change. Offer that side first or when is hungry or sleepy. Don't worry.

4. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

I spoke to my Lactation Consultant about this because once i gave him my BM(Expressed after 5 hrs gap) and my baby spit up that milk, my LC said the milk in the breasts does not spoil or get sour , Its just the babies preference. I always feed from one side and express from other side.

5. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

You can feed from both breasts. You can store the expressed milk and feed it to the baby instead of throwing out.

6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

When i read your title my first thought was..: "yeahh.... if the mother is smoking or drinking alcohol..." other reason might be strong medicines which will leave leftovers in the milk.
    Having said that i meant with that thought that as long you dont take anything in which is affecting your milk there is no harm and breastmilk is the best you can do to your child. Please note: i meant with it that there is nothing you can do to spoil the milk in one breast but remain milk in other breast as good as far im informed. So in your case its just purely the preference of you baby :) you just relax and keep calm. Maybe you had little pain and your baby felt the discomfort while sucking so she / he startet to prefer the other breast, maybe something else... just try to change that habbit slowly again.

If your doctor didnt suggest anything different you just be happy you are healthy and that biopsy turned out with its been no harm and your health is fine :) congratz for that must be big reliefe :)

(Note: didnt mean to say you are smoking or drinking that was just my first thought about general possibilities to affect mothers milk in bad way, im very sure you are a great mother and would never do such a thing!)

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, for a while my LO wanted only from one side - as though she were only comfortable sucking from that one side. Also she spit a lot from that side. Once I started pumping I realised a lot more milk came easily from the side she refused. May be the letdown is too stong for your little one.

One advice that helped me was to use the football nursing hold for that side. That way the child will be turning to the same side as normal hold with the other breast. In a few days she got used to the let down on that side and would drink from both sides normally. Hope this helps. Ps: get help from someone while using the football nursing hold initially.

8. DrPreetha

DrPreetha Gold IL'ite

A blocked duct can lead to a lump.And a lump could lead to a block in ducts.As your doctor has insisted nursing you need not worry.Moreover as like you said if it was infection then you would have fever symptoms.Your baby must be avoiding it may be due to 2 reasons
    1)as many have said before, the flow may not be free,baby would need little pressure in getting milk
    2)the milk at that side may be little salty due to increased sodium and chloride content that is caused due to the milk stay for a short period.
    It is true that both sides have same milk but the anatomy plays an important role.If there is any abnormality in one side the taste need not be similar as to the other.And the solution is to nurse often and ensure both sides get empty.If you are still annoyed express milk from both sides and check for uniformity.

2 people like this.