Can anyone help me identify these birds?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by satchitananda, Jan 14, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Of late I have been hearing the calls of many new birds which I have not heard before. I keep running to the window to catch sight of the birds. There is one which sounds like the loud croaking of a frog. This bird keeps calling out only to be replied to by another of its kind from nearby. Have not been able to spot the bird. May be it is very nicely camouflaged.

However when looking for this bird, I spotted another flying really fast the other day. Going by the colour, I thought it was a parrot. This morning when looking for the other bird, I saw what I thought was a parrot and was surprised to see a completely different bird. It had a parrot green body, a brown head and a yellowish beak. I managed to take a picture of it, but was not able to get a very good one as it did not stay too long. The colours in the photo are nowhere as vivid as the real colours.

Was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me anything about this bird.

Later I saw an even smaller bird which was a dull green with a light brown head. Could not get this bird as it was very small and by the time I could focus and zoom it just flew off.

Can anyone tell me what birds these could be? Have been searching Google, but it seems to be an endless search. Did not see "my" birds.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.

2. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Swati
    even i have noticed it i keep wondering the same . It comes and perches on the tree in the afternoons but not able to see properly. I will try to get the name soon from one of my friends.

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

4. shosasubu

shosasubu New IL'ite

Hi,

From your picture,I think the bird is a Brown headed Barbet. They are common all over India,and I remember seeing them in my home in Kerala . I am an amateur birdwatcher and used to keep records of birds I'd spotted. Hope I'm not mistaken. Try to refer the Net for pictures of the Barbet so you can compare.

Rgds,
    Shoba

2 people like this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks Shoba, just checked out. Distant pictures make me think it could be the same one, but in close ups the colour of the beak makes me wonder. Also not so sure if the colour of the eyes etc. match. Need to watch out for more of them.

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Swati:

Seems like the white-cheeked barbet to me. They have a distinct patch of white below their eyes. Their calls are similar to those of the brown headed barbet but more sharper in my opinion (not that it helps in identification:)). Probably, you can distinguish by observing them for a longer time.

Sindhu

7. satchitananda

Hi Sindhu,

This is indeed the bird - the white cheeked barbet. Checked it out on you tube and heard the call too. It is the very call that has been driving me nuts all these days - I could hear it so loud and clear, but could not spot the bird. Yippeeeeeeee........ am so happy to have seen the bird and heard its call too. :) Thanks a million.

Here is the video which shows the bird with the call which is unmistakably its own. [video]http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/white-cheeked-barbet-megalaima-viridis/bird-singing-turning-around-flying-away[/video]

8. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Swati:

Did you notice how the barbet called without even opening it's beak. It was pointed out by our naturalist Guru (I took up a course in Naturalist training in June 2011). Isn't it amazing? Almost like a ventroloquist (as pointed out by a friend of mine).

Once you start noticing and observing the birds, life seems more beautiful - me thinks:)

Sindhu

3 people like this.
  9. satchitananda

Sindhu, did not observe the beak, but did observe how its tummy kept puffing up each time. :) I totally agree with you. Am hearing so many different types of calls but unable to spot the birds. Would you know another green bird with similar colours like the barbet meaning light green mixed with brown, but much smaller?

My mil was mentioning a bird she has been noticing which keeps bobbing its tail up and down and says it is black and looks similar to a sparrow - was wondering if it is the wagtail or bobtail.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Swati:

What size would it be? Smaller than a sparrow or larger than a sparrow? Is the green as prominent as the barbet?

Wagtails are larger than sparrows, so this maybe Indian robin male which has a patch of white on it's wing or the pied bushchat male (which is black with white on the abdomen, wings and rump (Check this to identify the part).

Sindhu