1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can a person's basic nature change?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tulip123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. tulip123

tulip123 New IL'ite

Hey Sandhya,

Yes, will try writing to him and also talking to him. I also feel that my total disclosure of my nature/feelings from day 1 has also put me in trouble..I am very impressionable and take things at face value..But him, I have understood very well..i honestly believe that he loved me...and my MIL, although she was happy that her son was happy, she could not digest the extent to which we were close..it kinda made her feel very insecure..and it was sone pe suhaga for her when its was all my fault and my husband totally shouted at me..she used that opprtunity to make him that way she wanted him to be..

Very simple things that i hv shared with my husband are coming against me now.. like i say " am jealous of this colleague of mine..she has great skin", now my MIL has termed me to be a very jealous person( with respect to her) and my husband is so naive that he believes her! This is just one thing...u can imagine how many things a wife wud hv shared with her husband...

anywaz, in my heart of hearts i believe he is a good person and he is carried away with too many things..i just hope he comes back to his old self soon.

Thanks dear for your very valuable inputs..am trying to analyse from various angles and the most imp thing i got from ur post is to not take things at their face value..

1 person likes this.
  2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

A BIG NO please..........Tulip do not involve his sisters/friends/relatives....if you involve them now..remember be ready for their interference n involvement forever..

also one more thing to observe here...a man who cannot forgive n let go...this is a one time incident...and he too is actin abusive and nasty in return....which is not helping at all right?? even if you talk to hsi sisters..they will start preaching and moreover..who else can resolve issues b/w a wife n husband??? if they both dont trust each other and cant forgive each other..no one else can do anything

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Tulip,

My dear, I am glad you are taking my inputs in the right spirit and not feeling like I am blaming you unnecessarily etc. Going forward, While you wait for him to recover and come back, you dont start reacting, do stay calm and maintain an even keel. Go about your work as normal, ie., do the things you would normally do for your husband etc. Yes your husband is over-reacting and it will take him time to forget but later when this incident is forgotten, the fact that you remained your sweet self, that you are loyal and dependable will not be forgotten.

Deflect any and all accusations (like you are very jealous etc. ) with a calm negative statement. No I am not jealous of her. Just make the statement and cut the topic, leave the room, resume your work or your cooking. DONT get heated and defensive, dont start brininging in points to defend youself, just the statement, that's it. after all you know yourself better than anyone else, right? This is v. hard to do -- I myself growing up had to face the accusation often that I am getting angry, or that I will get angry or I anger easily and in countering the statement itself I would get so heated that I would make the other person's statement come true :) It was v. frustrating. So dont defend, just state once every new time the accusation comes up yes, I know what I did was wrong. That's why I said sorry to them. Or, No I am not jealous of her. Say it once and be patient in the rest of the conversation, as in hear them out and shrug if you have already said it.

Secondly, if you already know that your mil is insecure, when she comes back you should consider doing what you can to remove that insecurity and mke her feel comfortable within the circle of you, hubby and her. Without loosing your essential dignity or giving away your rights of a wife, show that you respect her, admire her and value her. when they come back, view it as your chance to draw that line and show what you can do and cannot do for her within reason so take it. Whatever you decide to do for her as her dil (i mean your duties as a dil towards her) you do wholeheartedly and enthusiastically. Here I stress within reason and without loosing your dignity points a lot. Eg., if there is something she is really good at, like cooking or sewing, get pointers from her about that. For eg., your h's fave dish which only mom can make, get the recipe on the phone, tell he is missing you etc. At some level, this is basically about her not feeling needed or valued too. So restore your PILs comfort level without kowtowing or forcibly killing your own desires.

Good Luck!