1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

calorie counting for Indian food.. how to?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Penny, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Penny

Penny New IL'ite

Hi,

I started my diet for weight reduction and its been quite a while now but its getting hard for me to count the calories intake. How to calculate calories for Indian food? Right now I am more conscious about the calorie intake as i'm a nursing mother and do not want my diet to effect the milk production. Please help me regarding this.

Currently I weight around 250lbs and want to come to healthy weight of 140lbs. In short my marriage and life depends on my weight loss.

Please give me your suggestions and support too.

Thanks

2. Penny

Penny New IL'ite

Please help me figure out the calorie counting for indian food anyone.

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Penny, Google the calorie of food you wanna know and the answer will be right infront of you. If you want to know it according to recipe then you would have to google for different ingredients and add it up.But its tiresome. Some site like calorie.about.com , sparkpeople.com , lifemojo.com etc gives calorie for indian food and mroe or less most of the site gives you the same number.

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Penny,

Most of the websites give calorie information for indian food as ami mentioned. But I would rather calculate myself for home made food because it depends on what in how much quantity goes into the dish. What I generally do is I have the calorie information for common foods(rice, lentils, oil etc.,) by heart and would just add it up for the entire dish. That way I know exactly how much I should eat or if I am over eating.

It is difficult at first but once you get calories for common foods in my mind it becomes easy. Another rule that I follow is watching the portion size. You need not calculate any numbers but just eyeball the serving size and determine if its too much.

Good luck

5. RainLady

RainLady Senior IL'ite

As ami and aswini suggestion use Google to count calories for Indian food. Portion is the key to successful weight loss. As a nursing mother eat healthy food and take vitamin tablet.

6. Penny

Penny New IL'ite

Thanks amihere, aswini & rainlady for ur suggestions... i shall follow these steps and plan accordingly :thumbsup