1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium Tablets for 50 Years Old MOM

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by kdivya452, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kdivya452

kdivya452 New IL'ite

Hai Friends,
    I know i am posting this in a wrong thread but i need some sore of input from you people.

My mom is sick these days. She was told by doctor that her bones are becoming weak and prescribed some calcium pills. She is 50 years old.

I have a friend of mine going to INDIA on Jan 23.

I was wondering if i can send some good pills from US to INDIA. Please let me know some good pills for older ladies to build bone strength. Also let me know if there are any side effects.

Thank You Very Much in Advance

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Divya,

One gets good calcium tablets here of varying strengths and also in combination with Vitamin D. A good GP should be able to prescribe them for your mom depending on her requirement. Otherwise Shelcal 500 is a good calcium supplement.

1 person likes this.
  3. chitu

chitu Bronze IL'ite

hi
    my mil is taking NUTRILITE® Cal Mag D from amway it helps her... it is available in both us and india but bit costlier...

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

You get very good ones here.
    Try CITROMACALVIT(after consulting your Physician.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if she has already been prescribed calcium, the doctor knows.

even calcium in excess becomes a problem as you age. you cannot increase calcium levels or increase bone strength after a age. you can maintain it and not allow it to deteriote. being menopausal, also attributes to the same...do not worry.

as others say there is a lot of compositions that suit every individual available in india. you will not believe that you get them from as low as 50rs/10 tabs to 500rs/10 tab but at the end of the day, better leave it to the doctor.

you can ask her to have lot of milk/dairy products. and a lot of sunlight..early morning or evening. recent studies show, that we Indians are slathering our faces/bodies with sunscreen spf 20-50+ these days not realizing the importance of sunlight .

Recently heard even kids as young as 8/10 are always tired..and the doctors feel it is the lack of vitamin D..

6. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Also, excess calcium will get deposited in kidney which is not good.
    Its always better to check with doctor and take the supplements.

7. gaya3s

gaya3s New IL'ite

As our IL Friends mentioned above, it is better to have been prescribed by Doctor.
    My Mom suffered the same during her menopause and was taking Calcium supplements for couple of years (as prescribed by Doctor). Offlate, she was getting urinary track problems and diagnoised with stones in Bladder. Ofcourse, she has been treated for that and fine now, but the reason for the stones were more calcium intake. It is better to follow as per GP.

1 person likes this.
  8. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

I have faced a problem, I used to have calcium deposits in my calf muscles.
    Because of that I suffered a lot.
    So it is always better to consult the Doctor and take the calcium supplements.

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

9. healthandbeauty

healthandbeauty Junior IL'ite

hi there , you have asked about good calcium tablets , of course calcium tabs vit d3 are a good option but the basic difference is in the form of calcium whic is used in those tablets , most of them effects the kidneys badly try yourself take one or two tablets and dissolve in half a glass of water you can easily see the residue left at the bottom , which in turn can lead to renal stones and other disorders.

to avoid such situations try some supplements having organic calcium , if you need i can help you finding some

(CHEERS)