1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium supplement for strong bones !

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by mach108, Mar 6, 2006.

1. mach108

mach108 New IL'ite

Although millions of people take Calcium (Ca) supplements or eat food rich in Ca to strengthen their bones, recent studies have produced mixed results ! Let us be aware that all health-related recommendations are likely to be modified with modern day "re-search". It implies that one has to keep her eyes and ears open to know the day-to-day development in Health Sciences. Recent reports on high fat diets and incidence of heart diseases and cancer (no correlation) is another interesting story.

While the beneficial effect of Ca supplements is not significant in women upto 60 years of age, among women of 60 and above, taking the supplements reduced hip fracture by 21%. It is apparent therefore that the benefit accrues to an extent, only in older women. However this does not mean older women can happily move in the bath rooms and slippery surfaces, unmindful of consequences ! Supplements support to strengthen elder's bones only to an extent.

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this info.
    I think we need to take Vit D along with calcium to help calcium absorbtion .

3. ramkarthick2011

ramkarthick2011 Bronze IL'ite

Very informative. I will bookmark it

4. kksheela

kksheela Bronze IL'ite

hi

thanks for the info. am taking orange, calcium tablet and womens horlicks and more milk.

donno how this alone will help me. suffering in joint pain after my first delivery