C-section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by DivzIyer, Feb 15, 2012.

1. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

I kw that this may sound like a stupid question but I just wanted to kw....
    I hear a lot "I dont want to get a C-section" ...what is wrong.
    I mean that if the Dr tells me that for a better delivery I have to get a C-section I dont think I will think twice..
    Am i missing something??

2. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

According my experience, normal delivery is best in 1000 times than C-section.. am suffering lot still due to c-sec.. At that time of delivery only its gud, next of second lot of pains r starts...

2 people like this.
  3. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Dear Divya,

No question is stupid, if it is a question get your answer and feel light.

Normal Delivery is the most natural form of childbirth; it is natural and the most obvious way to go about giving birth.

A C-section is a manmade surgical intervention for Child birth when the natural method does not go as per plan. It is a backup plan and becomes life saving and mandatory if the situation arises.

These days our life styles have deviated away from the natural methods. Man has become civilised and built himself a world that is moving aloof from nature, hence natural child birth has become a task these days where as in history it was the only way and the understood way.

So women who perceive the natural way unnatural because of their sedentary lifestyles and low threshold to pain are unable to cooperate during this process which only stress the baby mother and the obstetrician and further complicates the process.

Expecting women should be able to stay fit, eat healthy, be active, understand the process of labour and prepare well mentally physically emotionally and give her obstetrician the faith that she will cooperate during labor.

The challenge after a C-section is recovery because being a mother is quite a challenging and a handful task, only if she is fit and fine can she do justice to this new role of hers. Hence a natural birth is always preferred. But staying fit and taking care during the pregnancy will enable the mother to recover irrespective of what mode of child birth she has been through.

I do not think it is appropriate to comment and make a statement against another professional's opinion because I have no clue in what context it has been made. I have tried to answer your question generally.

Hope this helps you.

Keep in touch. Do what you need to do and give it your hundred percent in life the results will take care of itself.

Take care….

Love
    Rakhi

4 people like this.
  4. SSNmom

SSNmom Bronze IL'ite

Dear Divya,

My baby was in breech position and i have to go for C-section with no option of Normal delivery. I would say, normal delivery is pain for 1 day with hapiness life time.

With C-section also i wont say you dont have pain.. its for just 3 hrs you dont feel anything but life after that is very difficult. Feeding baby, getting up, your own needs has to be accopmanied by some one for the entire 1 month. Also the pain in lower back starts.

Depending upon the situtaion if only risky for normal then go for a c-section. Otherwise always try for normal birth.

Regards,
    SSNmom

1 person likes this.
  5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Divya,

There is no point in waiting for normal delivery to happen when the doctor announces that def C-sec needs to be done for the sake of the mother and baby..no point in cribbing..and anyways the health of both baby and mother is of utmost importance...

i personally have seen/heard 2-3 cases(my friends/family) where they waited for normal delivery to happen - in one case,the kid suffered and in another case,the mother suffered...its a life long problem..

In my case,i got admitted for normal delivery and doc said i ll deliver in another half an hour(normal)...just in that time,doc identified FETAL DISTRESS...baby passed motion inside and doc said there is no wait and have to do a C-sec...no more wait and we went ahead with C-sec..ofcourse we did try once for normal delivery for 5 min but nope,dint work..i myself heard my baby's heartbeat going down...so whats the point in waiting for normal to happen??..afterall its the baby for which we are eagerly waiting all these months...so we went ahead with C-sec..
    doc said few more min of wait,the baby could have swallowed the meconium(motion) and would have been kept in ventilator for 10 days...god i felt happy that only i had to suffer the pain of C-sec..now all in my family are happy that we dint wait......

but def yes,normal delivery is 1-2 days of pain(from the time the labor pain happens till delivery or maybe for 2-3 days more in case of tear),so not more than a week..nothing after that

but C-sec is like life long problem...no pain till delivery and even till 3-4 hours after delivery...after that its really difficult to even feed the baby and the 1st month after dleivery is really horrible...the mother definetely cant do anything without help,i mean if you do,there will be too much pain and other complications...sitting on a low(height) chair or sofa,lying,sneezing,bathing,coughing anything is painful...and the back pain...ufffff its for the life time...its been 2.5 years back i had my C-sec,and i am working from the 6th month...still i cant stand in the same place for more than 5-10 min and wash vessels...the back pain would be horrible and def need to sit or lay down....thats a real horrible thing...

Normal or delivery,cant say,nothing in our hand...its like what god has fixed for us...

3 people like this.
  6. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

I was working till last week of my due date.. we were eagerly waiting for normal.. but unfortunately due to tension and BP doc adviced to go for C-sec.. otherwise while trying for normal the mother would get fix and nothing can be done.. hence we accepted for c-sec.. the pain after c-sec is never ending process ..

1 person likes this.
  7. DivzIyer

DivzIyer Senior IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the excellent advices. I understand it now.
    Though it is early but I thk the way I will do is i will hope, pray and prepare myself for a normal, but if the Dr says it has to be the other way for better health of the baby and me I will take it as god's word and do accordingly.
    Thanks again :)

8. ais_1982

ais_1982 Silver IL'ite

Divya,

I am sure no doctor will just tell you please have C-sec just like that...It all depends upon various circumstances that mainly involve the baby's safety and your pelvic structure....So just dont think about all this....When the situation comes, take a wise decision and go ahead....Recovery phase is difficult but in any case with some help, it can be done...I have many friends and relatives who had tried for normal being in labour for long hours, ended up having fetal distress and c-sec...But they have recovered quite well.....So just enjoy ur pregnancy now and leave it to God...

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

DI , Do not worry about the delivery now.In normal delivery , the recovery is fast but there are other complications associated.In C-section , recovery is slow and you would require others help at least for a mnth(depends on your body condition again) and has its own complications associated.

I had a C-section for my first baby , till now by god's grace everything is fine.No Back ache (God's grace) and I work in IT.Believe me it is not so scary as you think.Have healthy food and keep your body fit.

I am hoping my delivery now would be normal bcoz I do not have any help here and I want my recovery to be faster.I am keeping my fingers crossed.But whatever mode of delivery be , I want a healthy child which is my priority.Do not worry .C-section or Normal , you will pass through it.Good luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  10. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

In my case, my water broke and they had to start inducing because neither did I had contractions nor did the pains start. However, once they started inducing, they found that whenever I was getting contractions, the baby's heart rate was dropping. They stopped inducing and noticed that the baby is doing fine. When they again started inducing with pitocin, the baby's heart rate started dropping whenever there was a contraction. My doc then suggested that it is better to go for a c-section as she suspected that there is fetal distress and she also suspected that the baby might have the cord around it's neck.
    Eventually they found out that I had a condition called CPD (Cephalo Pelvic Disproportion) - meaning my pelvis structure was too narrow for my baby to pass which could be the reason for the fetal distress. In addition, as my doc had mentioned, the cord was around my baby's neck..and that too twice.
    So essentially what is means is that, we can hope that we have a normal delivery....but if a c-section is required to help safeguard your baby and you, then that is what we need to go for.

Ofcourse, I will not deny that the days after the c-section is tough. Honestly speaking, I had pains for 2-3 weeks after which the pain was bearable. However your body does tend to become rigid because all that is cut open needs to heal from the inside as well and not just the stitches that we see outside. Healing period and the trouble/pain is more after a c-section than in the case of a normal.

I'm pregnant with my second now. The doc initially said that mine could be normal, but after she saw the first report from my previous doc that I have CPD, she said the chances of c-section are higher than that of normal...but she did suggest that we wait and see as to what needs to be done.

So good luck....and just do what needs to be done for your baby and you.!