1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Land On Mil's Name ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vyahrthi, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Vyahrthi

Vyahrthi New IL'ite

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well. I have a question regarding the decision my husband is proposing on buying land in India.

My husband family does not have any property yet, they had but they lost everything due to business loss. Now, they found one land which is in the same place they live currently which is under our budget too. We live abroad and can't travel to India for another 6 months at least due to leave concern. If we want to register the land then we have to do it on MIL/FIL's name. My husband suggests doing it on MIL's name, I am concerned that SIL will make issues later. Both MIL and FIL saying, sister will not create any problem in future, we will take care of that. But I can not just trust those words and spend my savings too in this buying. The reason why I am concerned about is, MIL/FIL always gave everything to their daughter but no financial support to their son. They even dragged their son to fulfill daughter's demands and made him under debt.

I really do not have any solution, but I got one idea. Why don't we register on my mother's name as I am the only child? But blocker is my parents and his parents are like blood enemies these days, so my husband is not ready to accept this.

We do not want to lose this land, I request you legends to suggest me a solution for this?

Thanks

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP , check whether you can give Power of attorney to your ILs and execute the purchase.

Vyahrthi likes this.
  3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

No sister, no MIL , no FIL, no MUM. buy on loan, register on husband and your name . POA can be given to FIL or MIL.but not complete ownership

never mix relationship with business.

want to buy and gift them , no problem. but buying for your family future. do not mix up

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I think you can still register the land in your or your H's name regardless of wherever you stay.

I brought a land on my name when I was in abroad. All I needed to share was the scanned copies of my personal documents to the registrar.
    My mom facilitated the purchase together with a lawyer, and it worked well.

I wouldn't give up my hard earned savings to buy something on In laws' name ever again. I did this mistake during initial days of marriage, when similar problem popped in. My H suggested buying a land in FIL's name, so I trusted. We were in OK terms by then, but things turned sour later on.

FIL did not changed that piece of land in our name till now, and will never do so. H had no guts to change the ownership when things were smooth. Now that, he can't, as there is a huge problem going on between them.

FIL did not even put my H's name as nominee either. So, his natural nominee (i.e MIL) would get it after FIL's time and possibly write off the same to her favorite son (second BIL). Now a days, we are not in talking terms with them. But I see how courageously they work in that coconut land, and do things for further establishments (hence making it impossible for us to get it back).
    We have no hopes about that land, but at least we have a great lesson for life from it.

5. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Yes... U can register in ur husbands name.. that is possible.. we bought a property in my Dh s name , aan that time he couldnt go India.. but still registration went smoothly... No issues at all..
    U can convince by saying that since there a lot of confusion we decided to buy in DH s name.. as that is safe for everyones future...

Money n property are the prime source of fights/problems in families may b not now but of course in future.
    U will also feel relieved as somthng is there in ur name.

So better talk to ur DH , dont exaggerate by saying they mite control it in future. And all.. just give him hint that it will be a small asset for him , there is no harm in buying property in our name it justs saves our tension in future.

Goodluck.

Vyahrthi and Topaz49 like this.
  6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

If you are investing completely buy in your name. If you are investing jointly with hubby then register the land jointly. Leave out MIL/FIL/SIL from picture. Explore how POA works with a lawyer or a consultant and do that.

Buying land in MIL name will definitely cause bitterness in future with SIL.
    Better take precaution now than being sorry later.

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Do not create a lifelong problem for yourself and your future generation.
    This is a bad investment. You are giving away your hard earned savings to lose peace of mind .

If you can't clearly buy it in your and husbands name ,then do not buy it .

Buy when you can be present to buy on your name even if it is costlier because no property is worth the headache this will cause you.The extra money you spend will be worth the peace of mind.

8. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

I agree with all. Never ever registee the property in your mil or fil name if its you and dh who are paying for it all.
    Register it in joint name of you and dh and give poa to fil as everyone suggested .

I'm also worried of registering in dh name alone. Its always better to include yourself too since you are contributing as well to it

Vyahrthi and Anusha2917 like this.
  9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

you are not living in India, but you don't want to miss the place/land where your in-laws currently live.
    Why you want to invest your money there only? Think about it.
    I think you are not getting benefits (receiving rent money or living there) with that as of now even you have your name added in it. Why can't invest on your retirement policy , kids security etc and let husband do investments and have his family or he have his name on it. Different perspective, but you will not feel your money is used by somebody.

Vyahrthi likes this.
  10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

You can give special power of attorney just for the sake of buying property and they can use that and register the land on your and your husbands name.

Neither you nor your husband should register it in your mom’s name.

Vyahrthi likes this.