1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Kids Desk For Home

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Sep 29, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I want to buy kids reading/coloring desk for her room. I have regular walmart mini mouse folding table for activities in living room. She hardly sits on it. Now I need one for her room and I am looking for something like our work/study tables where she can put colors etc.
    I see online and confused with options. There are old fashioned ones and then I see some fancy types with height adjustables and titling work top( Vivo brand, Best Choice brand on amazon). Those are new kinds and look good but I have not seen any of my friends. Also they won't be of much use after 10 yrs age.
    Old fashioned types (like we adults have), I know can be problematic if height is not right for kids and also have sharp corners. I do not want to spend more than 200$.
    Any recommendations or ideas.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wait for a few years before buying a "study desk" as those are not adjustable in height. For now, the most important thing is that the height should be low or adjustable, and she should be able to sit on the chair with her feet resting on the floor, and able to draw or write in a pose that looks natural.

The Vivo and Best Choice kind, you are wise to not buy. The child will not keep the papers, pencils and other things organized. And biggest thing, these tables do not encourage other kids or a parent to sit down and do an activity with child. And with children, tables will topple over too, so those fancy ones are not a good idea.

At this age (3-4 yrs), we have to give up on "looking good" and "will last as child grows" furniture. Go for functionality. If you have an IKEA nearby, their MANMUT table and chair are perfect. Not height adjustable, but it will last till child is 5-6 years old. Table is $35, each chair is $15. Very sturdy, and table is of a good size. MAMMUT series - IKEA If you are enterprising and patient enough to deal with craigslist-flakes (no-show's), you can sell it on cragislist when she outgrows.

Other option is Lifetime brand adjustable table and their chairs. These are closest to what is used in some kindergarten classrooms. Amazon.com: Lifetime 80161 4-Foot Commercial Adjustable Height Folding Table, Almond Tabletop with Bronze Frame: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Lifetime 80472 Kids Stacking Chair (4 Pack), Glacier Blue: Patio, Lawn & Garden 4 chairs for $90 and a table for $45. Pretty good. The table is adjustable height, and foldable, so you can use for outdoor parties, or later as an ironing table etc.

If you order a Lifetime product, check the condition of box before accepting delivery. If delivery happens when you are not home, and there is some damage, call the number on the box for returns. After some talk, they usually refund the money, and say they will send you directions for how to return it, but the directions never come.

Another option, also on amazon: Amazon.com: Flash Furniture 24'' Square Blue Plastic Height Adjustable Activity Table: Kitchen & Dining

For a few years, you'll have to arrange a separate storage box system and can't use desks with built-in draws. IRIS or Sterlite plastic drawers work best. Or, the open storage organizers like this one: Amazon.com: Tot Tutors Kids' Toy Storage Organizer with 12 Plastic Bins, Natural/Primary (Primary Collection): Kitchen & Dining

3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

This is adorable! :hearteyes:

Get corner and edge guards. They can be used for protection on most tables and counters.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

How old is the child again? Mine is 5 and we are using a coffee table and got a little creative with it. I will attach pic from home.

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Mine is 3. I bought Step 2 ( plastic one) Arts creation desk for toys store. My kid, for now, likes it and sits atleast 3-5 mins before distracted.
    Problem with our coffee tables etc are they are always filled with other stuff. I have lot of tables etc at home. But my H, me and kid herself keep so much stuff, its never clean. News papers, towels, her toys and what not. I have some some creative posts of coffee table crafts like making rail track /roads on coffee table.