Buying Chicken and Mutton at Indian/Halal Stores

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by ManuuRaghuu, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hello Ilites,

I never bought chicken at the Indian Groceries/Halal shops in the USA so far.I would like to know whether chicken is sold only in some specific Indian grocery shops/halal shops where mutton is also sold?

My other question is that is it goat's/lamb's meat that is used here for making mutton curry? We once bought goat meat which had a strong smell to it.So next time we bought lamb's meat which was dark in color ,had no smell at all .But my friends say that they all buy goat's meet here.So am a bit confused.

Thanks,
    ManuuRaghuu

2. dweepa

dweepa New IL'ite

hi Manu
    Generally we buy baby goat & pressure cook it upto 3/4/5 whitsles.Even after it smells.so we again cook for some time without the lid,even if it smells,will add some more masala.It will be nice.
    We have to mention them as "baby" goat.May be the baby goat is what the lambs meat!but we ask the same every time as our neighbour told to ask like that.
    We don't bring chicken from Indian store as they have more bones than flesh.
    regards

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  3. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hi dweepa,

I also always buy baby goat leg and pressure cooker it for a little while. It tastes very good in veges and Masala's. If it smells add some garam masala or just ask the butcher to give you fresh meat not frozen and old. I know it gets kinda hard to buy meat here, specially if it is not fresh. But hang on and just make a relationship with the butcher and he should give you good meat. hope this helps.

4. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi

i usually buy baby chicken and spring lamb in the halal shop....the goat meat when cooked smell a lot and he's tougher as well.

i find also the mutton meat when i buy in english store is smelly too.

bye

5. dweepa

dweepa New IL'ite

hi desiprincess
    actually I am thinking to get meat after a long time after seeing ur drumstics meat.
    will try it & give u feedback

6. alpers

alpers Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

I buy meat/poultry from my local halal butcher and there is a bad smell from both poultry and meat.

But when i bring it home it does smell and when i wash it and cook the meat (Spring Lamb) it does not smell that bad, infact does not smell at all when cooked with all the masalas.

Probably it has something to do with the sense of smell with all the individuals concerned.
    I also cook Fish, when i bring it from the Fishmonger it smells very bad but when i cook it there is no smell at all of fish or meat, all you smell is the cooked masala.

Regards to all

Alps

7. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences .Am in New Jersey for a couple of months & bought goat from a halal store here last 2 sundays.

It was pretty good...had no smell to it :cool2:..Just asked for "goat" that's it .I also bought chicken from another halal store & made chicken fry with it...but got the chicken with bones frozen...not fresh.Should try at the first shop this time.

Regards,
    ManuuRaghuu

8. sathaipbvr

sathaipbvr New IL'ite

Be careful while buying any meat. It may not be of the same species as they claim. But these days we have provisions to get it tested scientifically.

9. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

I used to buy mutton in the local stores asking them specifically for goat but it used to smell invariably so I stopped cooking mutton at home not knowing if it is lamb or goat that I have bought.

What is this spring lamb that everyone is talking about ? Never heard of it before.

-Sabitha

10. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

i think spring lamb is a younger version of the goat which has a tender meat.
    bye