1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a flat at my mom's place

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by FreeSpirit20, Dec 12, 2011.

1. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, I have a simple query to ask all of you. My husband and I have had a love marriage, and apart from the initial hiccups, everything is smooth between me and my inlaws. Actually before our wedding, my husband promised my parents that he would buy a flat at my parent's place because place did not matter to him and my parents readily agreed to our wedding.

It has been an year of our marriage, and we are looking to buy one now. My inlaws do not know this yet, and I feel they would not like this when they hear about it. Can I do anything in this matter or should I leave it to my husband to deal with it? I do not want my relations with my inlaws to sour. :|

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Wiill you gift the flat to your parents?
    If DH had disagreed to the location then would they have disagreed to the marriage ??
    Leave it to your DH since he made the promise to your parents , its his call.

3. FreeSpirit20

Oh nono.. The flat would be ours. And my parents might have disagreed to the match but we would not have agreed to them either. I think I should just leave it to DH to deal with his parents.

4. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

yes just leave it to ur dh

5. FreeSpirit20

Ya JGVR, I just hope my inlaws don't feel bad about it.

6. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

I am just curious .. why did your parents ask this in first place.. If it is a long story just leave it..

7. FreeSpirit20

Hmm.. They wanted their kids to settle down in the same town. Place did not matter to my DH, and so he agreed. Even now he is fine, but I'm just thinking my Inlaws might feel bad.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Speculating and worrying over things in which you do not have a role leads to problems later.

assuming relationship between your in-laws and parents is fine and your dh is the one who has promised, he would know how to tackle it.maybe he has already told this condition to his parents..

do not start looking for answers, when there was no questions in the first place..

Enjoy being the freespirit.

enjoy your cordial relationships, which is not so common, by the standards of these forums..

9. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

thats ok. when u go to new flat, take ur in-laws also.. that way, u are near to your parents and in-laws are with their son also.. this will be win-win..

though ur parents had asked for it, when discussing with in-laws , you/hubby can try to provide positives about new place and say thats reason behind moving there..

10. FreeSpirit20

Relationship between my inlaws and parents is not that good actually. And ya, we are planning to take our inlaws with us there too, and we'll list some pros of moving there. And DH hasn't told inlaws yet, when I ask him about how they will react, he just says it'll be fine. I trust my DH too much, and I think he'll solve evrything. :)