1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Butterfly shaped - Gland

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ihari123, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Ihari123

Ihari123 Silver IL'ite

Is there any problem in your Butterfly shaped Gland? Yeah, I am talking of THYROID Gland. Many don’t know about the probs of thyroid gland. But when one comes in contact with its deficiency (underactive thyroid gland) or if thyroid hormone levels that are too high (overactive thyroid gland), you hear many person saying I am having Thyroid problem else no one knows about it.

The thyroid (THY-royd) gland, a small butterfly-shaped gland in the front of your neck, makes thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones travel from the thyroid gland through the blood to all parts of the body, where they do their work. Thyroid hormones affect your metabolism rate, which means how fast or slow your brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of your body work. If your body works too fast or too slowly, you won’t feel well. For example, if you don’t have enough thyroid hormone, you might feel tired and cold. Or, if you have too much thyroid hormone, you might feel nervous, jumpy, and warm.

In October, 2009 my Dr. said she could see a swelling in my neck. And when she checked by keeping her hand in my neck, she just asked me to go and consult an Endocrinologist. I didn’t have any idea about the problem. When I met the Endocrinologist, after his checkup, he said I had Goiter. GOY-ter, I was curious to know what this goiter was. I have a habit, whenever in doubt about anything, I just take the help of GOOGLE. When I checked what Goiter was, I was scared. Endocrinologist said we need to do Biopsy. Now I was too nervous. Because all my life I had been lucky not to go / get admitted in any hospital except during my delivery, but that was a pleasant moment, because I gave birth to an Angel, she was like a Doll. And I am grateful to GOD Almighty for that.

So, I was talking about my entry in hospital. After biopsy I was diagnosed cyst in my thyroid gland and Endocrinologist suggested removing my Thyroid Gland and gave me the information regarding the expense and about the thyroid gland after the surgery. My DH spoke to his boss, who was friend of the Endocrinologist we met. Luckily my DHs boss knew one Dr. in TATA hospital, who helped me to get quick appointment. Dr. Chaturvedi was very generous warm compassionate in nature. After speaking to him half of my worry was gone and I felt good. Actually how the Drs, nurses and the ward boy/girl treat us/speak to us, determines a lot in the speedy recovery of the patient. The mind should be treated first then the body/affected part. The mind should be controlled first, should be made strong and that happens through the conduct of Drs., nurses, staff of hospital. If they treat the patents harshly it will be difficult for the patient to get well soon.

December 9, 2009, was the date given to me for surgery. My DH was there with me in the hospital. All the Junior Drs. were also very nice, because Dr, Chaturvery conducted the surgery and then used to come in the morning for check up only and the junior Drs. were there most of the time to check us, to take care of us. There were seven surgeries that day and mine surgery was the second one and time given was 7.30 am. The day before my surgery, at night Dr. gave some medicines and spoke to my DH regarding the surgery and the consequences of the surgery. They said sometimes I may lose my speech or voice change may take place. There are two sets of nerves near the thyroid gland that help control the voice. These are the recurrent laryngeal nerve and the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve. Damage to a recurrent laryngeal nerve can cause "to lose voice". The chance that one of the recurrent laryngeal nerves will be permanently damaged is about 1%. A more subtle change in vocal function may be noticeable if you are a professional voice singer or public speaker. My DH got tensed. Actually I didn’t knew about this, as the Dr. took my DH out of the room and had informed him (I came to know about this later after the surgery, as I was given alongwith the medicine, a medicine to sleep well. After the Dr. went I fell asleep, which my DH informed me later that you slept well, but I couldn’t sleep as I was thinking about the speech damage. He didn’t inform me thinking I would get upset but I had read this in GOOGLE, that there is a little chance of speech damage, but not in all case. If he would have told me I would have made him understand that Dr is saying this just to be in safer side, but there is no possibility of the same).

Got up early in the morning, had bath and was waiting for my no. At 7.00 Dr. came and after checking my B.P gave me the medicines. They were taking me to the Operation theatre and we were waiting for the lift, when my DHs elder brothers’ wife and son entered out from the lift. Actually they were not allowed by the security, to come in as the patients were going one by one to the operation theatre. But they said the security after some time gave us permission to go in, and we came running before anyone else stops us. I thanked them and felt relieved that they will be there with my DH till the time I come back. It was 10.30 am and I was not back my DH was worried. In the entrance of the Operation theatre, there was the message coming out regarding surgery showing the name of the person and surgery details. Mine surgery was over that was displayed but I was not brought out which brought tension to all the three of them standing out. At 11.30 I was in the room. The delay was due to the time taken by me to recover from the anesthesia. Surgery was successful. I was in the hospital for a week. I had to go in January for the next three years for follow up and had done radioactive therapy for the following two years. Now I am fine by the grace of GOD. Every year in January, have to go for blood test by which they come to know whether my thyroid gland is affected again or not.

Life has more to give, so accept everything, whether happiness or sorrow, accept both and share everything, but don’t stay in the past, move forward and rise up. Because we are just a reason to share happiness to others.

Every little smile can touch somebody’s “Heart”
    No one is born happy
    but all of us are born with the ability to create happiness
    “BE HAPPY ALWAYS”

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for sharing your experience. More than that, the spirit with which you handled the entire process is a lesson for many of us to learn. It is our trust and faith that carries our lives well. Positive thinking is a habit that is contagious and continue to develop well if we practice it regularly. I am so glad you are enjoying good health and more because you are handling it very well. God Bless.

Viswa

3. Ihari123

Ihari123 Silver IL'ite

Thnqu so much.

Initially I was very sad after hearing I have to do Biopsy. But as I said Dr. Chaturvedi's words were so encouraging, he said "You are lucky to have Thyroid Cancer This is not so serious and moreover its initial stage and nothing to worry. I guarantee you will live a normal life after the surgery". Those words at that time gave such relief that half of my tension just vanished away. Then I had two/three appointments with Dr.Chaturvedi prior surgery, where I saw little children of hardly 3/6 months with their mother, who had come for blood test,which I came to know, as their hands were attached with a wooden support, to enable to take blood number of times without hurting the baby, every now and then. And I saw some 5/6 babies, which made me think my case was not that serious then these babies. Those babies actually made me strong day by day before my surgery. I used to pray for those little angels. I thanked GOD and even now thank GOD for each and every thing HE does to improve my and everybody's Life, whenever I happen to see it.

After the surgery during Iodine Treatment, I met many patients who had come from many places other than Mumbai. Some were just 14 years, some just engaged, some newly married. I saw how they had to go through with, as every person are not the same. The girl who was just 14 years had done the surgery in the village where she lived, the Stitches were so noticeable through such a distance, made me think this girl will have many difficulty during her marriage, because even when we don't have any fault in us, boys think so much, about the girl before accepting her as his life partner. One girl was just married and her husband was going on asking the hospital staff, Doctor, nurses about the thyroid cancer, is this contagious, will this occur again, and many such queries. I just observed, every people don't see a thing or problem in a positive way. A situation remains the same but point of view differs from person to person, which is depressing.

Taaaanku Shina and Gankita for liking my post.

1 person likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ihari, I really don't know where it comes from, but it is only a crisis which makes us aware of our innate strength and helps us to see life in a different light. Once we realize our strength, fear has to make an exit through the back door. After that life opens up completely and it can only be wonderful from there on.

5. Ihari123

Ihari123 Silver IL'ite

Yeah, I agree.

Moreover, its like a second / new life for me and I am enjoying every bit of it. Else would have wasted this life simply without doing anything.

Now LIFE has more meaning to be lived in happily by helping others.