Business Lessons From My Dentist

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by sheetal, Nov 4, 2009.

1. sheetal

sheetal New IL'ite

Hello IL'ites,

I have been going to the same dentist for 6 years now and amazed by the things that he does. A few business lessons from observing him.

1. When I first visited him, he told me that his dentistry is a "no pain dentistry". Whatever he does, there will be no pain. I had even got two of my wisdom tooth removed and I felt no pain. Have a simple message and deliver on it time and again.

2. For my regular cleaning, one of his assistants does the cleaning, but he always come in once the cleaning is done, checks her work, gives me a 2 min "state of the tooth" update and sends me on my way. I always go home thinking that he personally attended me the whole time even though he only spent 5 mins. Delegate, but ensure that your customers know that you are involved and that you are ultimately accountable.

3. On a casual talk I told his cleaning para medic that I had to go to the UK recently to attend a family funeral. A few days later, I get a personal card offering condolences. I was moved. I just thought of all the things that need to go right for this to happen. Personal touches go a long way; avoid being this monolithic faceless firm.

4. He charges more that what the insurers cover for his standard procedure. I always end up getting a bill for $20 or ao saying that is the balance amount that my insurance wouldn't pay because it's above their standard rate. I have tried moving to other dentist to save this extra charge, but come right back to him because after his 1st class experience, every other dentist is a big let down. I rather pay the $20 premium once every 6 months and get the treatment I want. People will pay a premium if you are worth it; it doesn't all have to come down to price.

5. I recently got a text message from his office saying that I can opt in to receive text reminders for my upcoming appointments. I immediately signed up. Explore creative ways to make life easier for your customers. All these tiny things add up over time and become a significant factor against switching.

Has any of your service providers impressed you? Any good business lessons to learn from them?

Sheetal

2. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi sheetal

It was refreshing to read about the business tips. Though i think it can be applicable even to our day to day lifes and even in personal relationships.

keep posting:)