Bumpy road drive during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by PraveenaDas, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PraveenaDas

PraveenaDas New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I'm in my 10th week of my first pregnancy, and commute to office by Office Van daily. The driver usually drives slowly, but today since the vehicle had broke down, he brought a Tata sumo (with zero shock absorption :frown: . There was only one seat in the back of the vehicle, and I dint have much time to think before getting into the vehicle.

It went on for some 15 to 20 minutes... the road was bumpy and i was trying to manage. but i ended up screaming when he started driving rashly and asked the guy occupying the front seat to exchange places with me ( I almost created a scene :frown: .

I'm really scared, that something might have happened to the baby. And planning to go for a checkup tomorrow.

I have 3 questions... 1) How risky is travelling on bumpy road. 2) What should i have done, i dont own a car.. so the only other way i can travel is by bus or auto.(My home is 13 km away from the office) 3) How do i understand if anything has gone wrong! I dont feel any pain(does that mean the baby is fine).

Thanks and Regards,
    Praveena

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Praveena

I did not even know I was pregnant until I was about 10 weeks long and I was in India in the initial stages of my pregnancy. I did everything I possible can. Binging on street food, riding my scooty through the streets of Chennai and bumping and speeding on every speed breaker in the city, the numerous auto rides and a couple of rides in tourist cars. To top it all, I went to a trade fair in Pondicherry and happily went on all the rides like the giant wheel, colombus ship, the little cup and saucer ride which goes up and down and all such things.

While my husband felt queasy after all this, me, the pregnant woman felt perfectly fine. It was not until I came back that I even found out I was pregnant. And after coming back, around the 12th week, I had to travel to Calofirnia from where I live and in order to not miss a connection in between, I ran with my bags in tow from one gate to another and went through a very turbulent flight. The baby and I were perfectly fine :)

So don't worry. Your little one will be just fine, nestled and cushioned inside you. I am sure that's what the doctor will also say tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  3. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Hi Praveena
    I agree with peartree. Dont worry about this . One bumpy car ride will not affect the baby. But do try to be careful in the future.
    If you have to commute to office I think it is better you take an auto everyday and ask the auto driver to drive slow .
    Travelling on bumpy road is not good especially during the last 3-4 months of pregnancy but definitely one bumpy ride will not affect you or the baby right now, so dont worry about it. You mentioned that you are feeling fine and no pain etc so surely your baby is fine and safe. Believe me if something was wrong you would have known since your body would have reacted .
    Take care and best wishes to you for a healthy and safe pregnancy.

4. PraveenaDas

PraveenaDas New IL'ite

Thanks to u both for ur supportive comments... I met the doctor yesterday and she said I'm perfectly fine.. She even said "u can go horseback if u want" :)..

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Praveena
    Congradulations on ur pregnancy!!! gud to know that u and baby are safe!!

I would just to say a mention the incident that happened to me...i am a working and before pregnancy,i used to commute by my 2 wheeler(12 kms to office) but during pregnancy then i stopped and took the bus(i had to take my 2 wheeler,park near the bus stand which is 2 kms from my house and take the bus as i used to get proper straight bus to my office from there)...i did like this till my 7th month..i was scared to take the Auto as i feel i ride better than the Auto walas...the bus journey also was a bumpy one...but i used to keep my hand below my stomach for safety and then would keep telling my baby not to worry or get scared whenever there were some bumps...all through my pregnancy,i had minor bumpy rides but i did the above 2 things and had absolutely no problem at all

I have told my story just to give some courage to u....it is always better to avoid such rides but in case there is nothin we can do,just think of god and he ll take care of everythin

all the best!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. chaitanya01

chaitanya01 Senior IL'ite

Hello everone,

im in my 18th week of pregnency, but when i came to know i was pregnent, i asked my doctor , whether it is safe to drive a 2 wheeler or to go in a auto, she told me to drive a 2 wheeler rather then going in auto. still now i drive my 2 wheeler and by gods grace everything is fine with me., even im a working women, i tried going in a office bus,it was good but when the bumpy road come, it was like a nitemare for me in the bus so then i decided to go in my 2 wheeler onlyyyyyyy.

so dont worry, just think that everything is going good and be confident, and when u get some leasure time , just put your hand on your tummy and talk to ur baby.., ur baby and u will feel so relaxeddddd., even i do this when i feel so stressful and triedddddd., i get relaxed, so do try it, will definetly help you.

7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

HeY Praveena,

Even i used to travel in Bumpy roads when i was carrying..SOmetimes i used to think that i would deliver the Baby in the Office Bus only...Jokes Apart , nothing would happen to the Baby..It would be perfectly fine inside...

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hi brahan
    i used to say this to my hubby wen i take an auto :rotfl

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  9. Shimiktk

Shimiktk New IL'ite

I am two weeks pregnant.today when i was coming back home,the driver took a new route.the road was rugged and bumpy.it made me jump quite a few times.i have pain in my abdomen now.has something wrong happened to the fetus?

10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rest well now. Don't strain. Try to avoid bumpy roads in the pregnancy.
    By the way, how many weeks now?
    Take care.

Shimiktk likes this.