1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Rice

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kailashwathi, Feb 11, 2008.

1. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Friends

I too want details about brown rice........like how it is good than white rice, how to cook, proprotion of water.......what taste it will be etc..........pls help me with all the details......

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear lata,
    this is the kaikuthal arisi available in the market, it does consume more time and more water and while consuming this rice ur quantity of food also comes down, u ask for kaikuthal and he will give you, but u will never get the white color u r so used to one can make payasam also out of this i made all these when in sathya's house my sis, chakka pradaman was very tasty in that and also paal kozhakattai which is altogether different in taste in this when u mix it like the ordinary kozhakattai before making into moulds the brown rice tends to be too soft so have to be careful with water while making not like the white raw rice which will become stiff if left for sometime...sunkan

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dearmost sunkan mam

thank u for ur FB.but u didnt tell me in which proportion we have to cook .like for boiled and as well as raw rice.we in major used to jhave 1:3 na rice and water.........and cook for some 4 to 5 whistles.....ofcourse it depends.

Tell me for this whether it is v important to saok it in water b4 cooking..and water proprotion.........i mainly want to use that for meal.once i got this and i too prepared it.but it didnt come well...........thats y veryy curious to kniow exact details..........and its costs too high then regular rice.......

4. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi Kwathi,

A quick question for you......how many times in a day did you have/having brown rice.Did it result in any weight loss till now. Im curious to know bcos im in the same boat and finding it difficult to make rotis everyday and due to lack of time end up eating white rice.
    Waiting to hear a response from u

5. kailashwathi

kailashwathi New IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi:

1 cup brown rice : 2 cups water.

Soak it for about 20 mins .

You can cook in the pressure cooker. After one whistle reduce the flame and leave it to cook on slow fire for another 10-15 mins.
    It comes out good. It may not be like your white basmati rice very very puffy when we make pulao but it tastes good.

kwathi

6. raviveena

raviveena New IL'ite

Can we make mixed rice varieties using brown rice?
    Has anyone tried ?

7. AaravShah

AaravShah Guest

Hi guys,

I love cooking new dishes for my daughter. Unfortunately I have not been successful at cooking brown rice so far. Being a single dad who is wondering if he is cooking it right or not, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions on how to make the perfect brown rice. Thanks in advance :)

8. vedhikasankar

vedhikasankar Senior IL'ite

I love to eat brown rice :)

9. shashivanshi

shashivanshi Senior IL'ite

Dear Nitu,
    White rice is polished form of Brown rice. Outer layer goes when polished which has lot of nutrients and fibre. Sugar is not soluble very easily , hence its not released to blood rapidly.
    More importantly you feel full for long time and you tend to eat less quantity than white rice.
    Incase of white rice - Sugar is soluble easily.