1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bronchitis

Discussion in 'Infants' started by coolcat, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Ira:

A couple of things that can help ease the nose block and cough - keep a small pillow or a folded cloth under the bed to raise the head level from the rest of the body. Also, give your son warm food - nothing cold at all that includes water as well.

Antiboitics are painful but they take care of infections, so you cannot avoid them.

Sindhu

2. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Akki (8 months) has come down with a very bad cold. He has been having this cold for almost 10days and day-before it turned to sort of coughing. His voice has changed and it is as if there is a lot of mucus in his throat. We took him to the doctor yesterday who said he is having some sort of bronchitis (which affects throat area) and has given some medicines. We again had to take him to the emergency room because he had very high fever (103). Now fever has subsided.

Okay my worry is - Is bronchitis and Asthma one and the same? I am myself an Asthma patient for more than 15 years and I am really concerned about the recent developments with Akki baby. Doctor said his chest is clear.

Can someone please throw some light on this?

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Amitha, there was already a thread existing on this topic so I merged yours with it. Vanathi has explained what bronchiitis is in one of the posts below, please do go through this thread. If you have any more questions then do post here. I hope the baby feels better soon.

Raj

4. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Vanathi,

My LO is urinating a little less than usual. Yesterday evening was worst, he didn't urinate at all for almost 3 to 4 hours. Then he vomitted everything that he had since afternoon - I guess it gave him a lot of relief. Afterwards he urinated which was bright yellowish. Anyway now also the frequency in urinating if less, but he is quite active. I am nursing him as often as he wants. He doesn't want to eat anything. Is it something to be worried about - I mean the whole less urinating, not eating solids, one time vomitting.

I was thinking I would take him to the ped on Monday. Tomorrow is Appu's birthday and I don't want to take Akki to clinic tomorrow. Hope these boys are fine and we all have a good time on Appu's birthday. I have been waiting for this day and now both the boys are sick & I am also sick (I also got fever).

Please reply

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Amitha - So sorry I'm late - just saw your post. Hope the boys are doing better now - let me know if I can help.

V.

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

My daughter also started her wheezing when she was 4 months old and she is two now but still she gets the wheezing here and there.

I just use a humidifier and puff her with albuterol that doctor had suggested every 4 hrs that brings a relief to her and then take her to the steamy bathroom(i just keep the shower open for some time).Elevate her head and put her to sleep.This helps her little bit.

The problem is me and my husband have a strong history so she also suffers from that.

Any other home remedies?

7. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi:

My son has bronchitis and is on the inhaler. I have developed this practice of giving him hot water (warm water for younger children) first thing in the morning and during winter months I give it through out the day (increase the frequency) - even sips is enough. I also give him herbal teas (kashyams). Whenever he has a cold, he would go through steam inhalation (relieves nose blocks) with tulsi leaves or Vicks vaporub.

While the above don't take care of bronchitis, they give some relief I would say.

Sindhu

8. iluvpeace

iluvpeace Senior IL'ite

Re: Bronchitis-please help !!!!

Dear friends

I have been reading about Bronchitis from your replies.I would like to know how did you come up to the conclusion that it is 'Bronchitis'?

Where there any tests done?

My DS now 5 yrs,has recurrent cold followed by cough,fever,sometimes wheezing,which gets settled only by the nebulizer.From the last one year this is the scenario_One day runny nose,develops to cough,fever and what not?
    Aren't these symptoms seen for common cold too?Iam worried about the frequent illness...also,moms,they say children easily develop such diseases when they are school-going,Iam really worried when I read about COPD,Bronchitis & others.
    Talking about the treatment,he gets antibiotics for the temporary recovery,but only to re-gain them back the next month!None of the doctors provide serious consultation for the long-term cure !!!
    Last month he was diagnosed with pneumonia,the poor thing,had to have antibiotics for about 2 weeks.......He stays active but Iam forced to think something is wrong,somewhere:(

Has any of you gone through such a condition,,,,,,,

Pinky

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pinky,

the doctors, observe your child and then based on a lot of things tell tell you whether he is bronchitis.

you can always check out with a pulmonologist.

always go with your gut instinct. if there is a hereditary, there is all the more chances..these days with pollution i know even adults who have started wheezing..this is not to scare you.

and bronchitis is not a disease. it is a condition where some allergens make breathing difficult because of the constriction of the lungs/air passage. proper treatment, with proper preventive measures do help. so you need to maintain a chart. when does he get it..if he is getting it every month..does he play outside. if so do not allow him to drink water immediately or sit in the AC immediately (being in the gulf that is one trigger ) do clean your AC filters frequently of the fine dust.:bonk if you have carpet vacuum every alternate day. Food, do not give him chips, food that have artificial colors, or preservatives..these are another trigger..no fizzy drinks. we still never drink fizz, chips once in 6/1 year..and we avoid preservatives as far as possible..

my son who is now 13, has very few episodes. we are working towards increasing his stamina. and all the other things that i have mentioned earlier.

My son used to start wheezing episodes, when his cold and cough worsens..so we always arrest his cold and cough. have you checked for tonsils/adenoids..this is again common in this age, which also give you fever, cold and cough.

what are the doctors saying..

10. iluvpeace

iluvpeace Senior IL'ite

hmmm....a pulmonologist......I have been consulting a couple of paed,and none of them as such told us to consult a pulmonologist !
    I have been seeing your discussions,I know you were the right person to ask for an advice(before a doc),and I followed my gut feelings.....

My son,from last July,(I was in Kerala,for my delivery)used to be getting cold,cough,fever,shortness of breath which is sometimes an ear infection,throat infection....I believed this could be because of the rainy weather in July,Aug,...my parents took him to more than a couple of docs,who keep saying to check his blood,as there were breakouts of fevers as chikungunya,dengue and so & so.....the results were -ve and Thank God.

Moreover the paed there gave him antibiotics every month for his speedy recovery when he's sick,of course,it get's cured but this doesnot bring an end ! Not a difference with the Ayurvedic ones,too !!!They don't prescribe antibiotics but nobody has said me the cause.The simple preventive measures I take are the only help for him initially :(
    I know he maybe allergic to dust(I take precaution)
    Again I remember him having blue lips and vomitting,but that was concluded to be as a food poison,last day,I read somewhere that this can be due to low oxygen levels in the blood....

His wheezing never comes down without the help of a nebuliser,,,,,,
    His fever is recurrent... also I have observed that if he is at home,he's fine,could be because of the right intake of food...pneumonia is another villian because of which he has become very lean,also because he is a very fussy eater,which adds up all the more....

Thank you very much Shanvy for replying.....
    we shall soon take him to a pulmonologist.